Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Warn me when closing multiple tabs" doesn't work

Highlighted
New User

"Warn me when closing multiple tabs" doesn't work

Bug report.

After upgrade to Firefox 16 this morning. Any time I close multiple tabs I get a Confirm Close dialog box. Checked or unchecked the "Warn me when closing multiple tabs" under General in the Options has no effect. It always prompts me to confirm close.

20 REPLIES
New User

Re: "Warn me when closing multiple tabs" doesn't work

I have the same problem on Ubuntu 12.04 amd64

New User

I have posted this as a bugzilla report. I new to that so edit the report as needed to make it more accurate.

https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=800008

Site Moderator

What started all this was the fix for Bug 277079 - "Close other tabs" should always warn about closing multiple tabs which took effect in Firefox 16.

nlinecomputers, Your bug was resolved as a duplicate of Bug 772319 - No option to disable the "Close other tabs" prompt. This will be "fixed" in Firefox 18 by offering a new "hidden" preference that can be set in about:config. From comment 31:
To get the functionally back you'll have to install Firefox 18, typing about:config in the address bar, search browser.tabs.warnOnCloseOtherTabs and change the value to false.

New User

You're treating your users like children. I want to be able to close multiple tabs without an aggravating and needless reminder and I don't want to have to make "hidden" config changes to restore what used to be so simple.

This is an irritating and dumb move.

Site Moderator

Looks like the new browser.tabs.warnOnCloseOtherTabs preference, (which can be toggled from true to false in about:config to turn off the warning) will be available in Firefox 17, which ships on 11/20/2012. It will also be available in Firefox Beta in Firefox 17 Beta 4, which isn't out yet but should be soon, for those users who don't want to wait for Firefox 17 final. ref: bug 772319

New User

Funny thing:

As opposed to the thread starter's issue, now the exact opposite is the case. Neither the “Warn me when closing multiple tabs” option nor the browser.tabs.warnOnCloseOtherTabs preference do have any effect anymore in FF17.

Update: setting browser.warnOnQuit to true now does the trick and brings browser.tabs.warnOnCloseOtherTabs back to functionality again.

New User

This fix works, but once it's applied the option to have FF warn the user when closing multiple tabs no longer works -- that is, checking the box to receive such warnings does nothing.

New User

@RDCollins: This is only the case when you are using Tab Mix Plus – hence I didn't contribute any further on this subject here, as it is not a Firefox bug.

The issue concerning TMP is already discussed in the following thread: [Firefox 17.0 doesn't warn me when closing multiple tabs]

New User

I have no idea what you're talking about. I do not use Tab Mix Plus -- it's not installed and I've never even heard of it before.

Whether the failure of FF to close multiple tabs without the warning notice is a bug or not depends, I suppose, on one's definition of "bug" -- but whatever you call it, it's a problem that did not exist in earlier versions of FF, and it should be fixed whether you like it or not.