cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

popup says that firefox is out of date. update to continue

Highlighted
New Contributor

popup says that firefox is out of date. update to continue

I get a popup when i am on a videopoker site the says."Firefox is out of date. Please update to continue. Previously i got a popup that said "Flashplayer is out of date. Please update to continue.

The only info i can provide, since i'm no geek, is a (browser/Ip) address i see on the screen. It says 8.29.133.184/browser/firefox. Looking up that # traces it to "Beyond Hosting LLC.

I have run every malware/scan i can find to eliminate this to no avail. All scans come back clean. Ideas ?

6 REPLIES
Grand Master Contributor

Re: popup says that firefox is out of date. update to continue

Use the Adblock Plus addon which in your config is disabled. To enable it go to Firefox button > Addons > Extenstions > Adblock Plus and pop-up blocker ON.

Site Moderator

Note that you should only update Firefox and plugins via their official web page.
If you click a link on a pop-up then you may end up with installing malware.

New Contributor

Adblock plus was only temporarily off. I need to disable it to play on a videopoker.com site.

New Contributor

Thanks. I understand not to click on that update. As i mentioned i have used various virus scanners to see if it is some kind of malware. I believe this is something similar to the "flash player pro" (virus ?) that i had read about.

New Contributor

I get popups for three items. 1. Firefox is out of date. (I have the latest version.) 2. Install uplayer. (I've never heard of it). 3. Latest flash player. (This one popped up when I first attempted to get this page - the second attempt got me here.)

New Contributor

I got the update Firefox pop up which opened in a new tab while browsing a Wikipedia page. In fact it opened several times. I have Adblock+ and Adblock's popup blocker, both were enabled. I also checked manually for updates and FF says I have the latest version which is FF24. It seems to me that it's a malware/virus site trying to sucker people into infecting their machines so whatever you do, DON'T CLICK ON ANYTHING and immediately close the window/tab!