plugin-container.exe : deleted it, how to re-download it

This happened

Every time Firefox opened

== Today 6/22/2010

63 REPLIES
Grand Master Contributor

Re: plugin-container.exe : deleted it, how to re-download it

Never mind, my bad.

Deleting it WORKS. No more hassle. Delete that file, problem solved.

Regular Contributor

Firefox 3.6.4 introduced this plugin-container.exe to make sure that plugins are better behaved. So if you're watching a video or playing a game and it crashes because of a faulty Flash plugin, only the plugin will crash and it wouldn't take down all of Firefox.

Expert Contributor

Go to the following link, click on "What's New in Firefox 3.6.4". The first 2 paragraphs is a brief explanation of what plugin-container.exe is designed to do. Right now, in Windows and Linux only, it isolates Adobe Flash, Apple Quicktime or Microsoft Silverlight plugins from the main browser, so that if one of those plug-ins crashes, your whole browser does not crash. This was done due to the large number of crashes caused by plug-ins. Plans are to add more plug-ins in later updates to Firefox.

https://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/3.6.4/releasenotes/

My only wish is that plugin-container.exe had been designed to close itself when pages running the plug-ins are closed. Maybe that will happen in a future update too.

Grand Master Contributor

Not for me...I tried deleting plugin-container.exe and my firefox crashes upon loading with my gmail manager plugin. When I restored the file, no more crashes.

Grand Master Contributor

Sure does take up a lot of resources

Grand Master Contributor

Possible way to disable in about:config

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=38&t=1929497

Advise to backup prefs.js in your profile folder first, just in case.

If your browser crashes when a plug-in crashes, oh well, you caused it.

Grand Master Contributor

Just what I needed! Another process to eat up resources! >.

Grand Master Contributor

Firefox 3.6.4 with Vista for Windows is "hanging" every site I try to access, Facebook, Earthlink, MSN, what's going on?!

Grand Master Contributor

I don't know if its my version of flash but checking and updating to newer versions of flash or filing bugs with specific information on steps to reproduce will help. Using MozillaZine Support forums does wonders as lots of volunteers wait for people to help find out the specific reason you see crashes.

Also, filing bugs is a sure way to make sure websites you have any flash crash on will be address first by Mozilla community of developers or volunteers. Providing crash stats from Firefox and website data and version information is a sure bet to helping it get fixed in the future.

As of this release Flash is version 10.1.53.64 Which can be checked which version of Flash is on your system by going to this site: http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/plugincheck/