cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ordinal 459 could not be located in dynamic link library.urlmon.dll What the heck is this and how do I fix it?

Highlighted
New Contributor

ordinal 459 could not be located in dynamic link library.urlmon.dll What the heck is this and how do I fix it?

I get the following message:the ordinal 459 could not be located in the dynamic link library. urlmon.dll. I get this when requesting list links within a genealogy program (not on the internet) Haven't noticed it on anything else yet because I have been obsessing over just that one program. At the same time I notice that my windows sidebar is not visible. Have not changed any settings. Java was disabled due to the recent exploitation. Would that have something to do with it. Or perhaps Firefox18 installed and then it went bad? Thanks in advance for any help. Running Vista.

20 REPLIES
Site Moderator

Re: ordinal 459 could not be located in dynamic link library.urlmon.dll What the heck is this and how do I fix it?

A few users have reported this and it's apparently malware. Try to Scan for malware, and reset firefox. Troubleshoot Firefox issues caused by malware Refresh Firefox - reset add-ons and settings

New Contributor

Re: ordinal 459 could not be located in dynamic link library.urlmon.dll What the heck is this and how do I fix it?

I have Trend Micro and it just ran a scan yesterday. I will try one of the free malware one now, check if the problem still exists, then try the reset. Thank you. Will keep you posted if that is ok. Thanks

New Contributor

Thanks Tyler. Tried both of these. The malware program did find 4, deleted those and restarted. Still get the same message about ordinal 459. Then reset firefox, still didn't help. Any more advice?

New Contributor

I have this problem too. On January 14 I installed Microsoft security patch: Bulletin MS13-008 - Critical - Security Update for Internet Explorer (2799329) January 14, 2013 Version: 1.0. When I attempted to re-start my computer, as instructed, the computer locked up and I had to power off. When I re-powered, I got a pop-up Powered by Support Soft, “The ordinal 459 could not be located in the dynamic link library urlmon.dll”. Clicking on the “x” in the box caused a “beeb” but the box would not go away. I wanted to use System Restore to go back to an earlier time, but the System Restore screen would not load. I used the Add/Remove utility to uninstall the security patch but still got the pop-up and no System Restore. Also, IE8 is locked up and will not open. How do I fix this problem? I am running Windows XP SP3 and Mozilla Firefox 17.0.

New Contributor

I am still having this problem also. Seems like it happened after that patch for IE.. I don't use IE at all and most updates on it fail. But I just noticed that patch did succeed. I will try to remove it and see what happens. When the pop up box comes on and won't close the only way to get rid of it is to close the program that I was using at the time. Goes to another box that says end now or cancel. I end now and the program closes. It is a genealogy program I am using at the time and it won't let me access the lists I need such as source and place etc. Hate to just shut it down like that. Have tried registering the urlmon.dll. Nope, didn't work. Tried malware programs, virus programs and still did not correct the problem. Get that same 459 message when I try to access Microsoft Help also. I have Vista and Firefox 18.

New Contributor

Skip, I tried to uninstall that patch. Can't do it. So I am going to try to restore. Have you come up with any new ideas?

New Contributor

I did a system restore and that took care of the problem for me. Hope you can find some solution also.

New Contributor

I have the exact same thing happening, I did a system restore and then the next day the problem happened again. It will just re-update itself and happen again. I don't know what is causing it though.

New Contributor

I will check again tomorrow to see if it reinstalled itself. I hope it doesn't. I do have the automatic updates turned off. I hope that works.