Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

old firefox data files

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Contributor

old firefox data files

I have had to reset Firefox 3 times. Everytime I notice an "Old Firefox Data" folder appear on my desktop with subsequent numbers following the title. What are these files for? What do I do with them?

Thank you.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Site Moderator

Re: old firefox data files

These are copies of your old profile after you reset Firefox. Firefox automatically transfers your personal information to when it's Reset, but it creates a second backup just in case you need it. Refresh Firefox - reset add-ons and settings

15 REPLIES
Site Moderator

These are copies of your old profile after you reset Firefox. Firefox automatically transfers your personal information to when it's Reset, but it creates a second backup just in case you need it. Refresh Firefox - reset add-ons and settings

New Contributor

Hmm. okay. Do I need to keep all 4 firefox data files?

- Old Firefox data -Old Firefox data 1 -Old Firefox data 2 -Old Firefox data 3

If yes, can i store them somewhere else besides my desktop?

Thank you!

Legendary Contributor

Hi delmdelm2

you can keep the latest Old Firefox data 3, and of course you can move or restore the file wherever you like, as Tylerdowner said, in his reply, it is a backup file just in case you need it.

thank you

New Contributor

Thank you both!!

New Contributor

Not quite sure what is meant by "reset" firefox - not sure I did anything like that - Thanks

Site Moderator

What kind of problems do you have that you decide to reset Firefox so often?

New Contributor

Hi - as I mentioned I do not even know what "reset" is - what I would like to know is how is it done - as I do not recall doing a "reset" Thanks

Legendary Contributor

hi ginnpr, see in the Chosen Solution (by Tylerdowner) the link "Reset Firefox – easily fix most problems" contains the information you want.

thank you

New Contributor

I did not do the reset as displayed - so not sure how it happened - Thanks for the reply