Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

new tab set as homepage

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Contributor

new tab set as homepage

I did as instructed (went into config found the browsernewtaburl changed what I wanted it to open) and it didn't change new tabs to my homepage. it stayed exactly the same as it was

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Site Moderator

Re: new tab set as homepage

Start Firefox in Safe Mode to check if one of the extensions or if hardware acceleration is causing the problem (switch to the DEFAULT theme: Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Appearance/Themes).

10 REPLIES
Site Moderator

What is the current value of the browser.newtab.url pref?

I'm not sure what you want to achieve.

Do you want a blank blank or a different new tab page other than about:newtab ?

New Contributor

the browser newtab url is set to https://www.google.com but that isn't what I get when I open a new tab, I still get the avg powered by google page

New Contributor

Does the tab say Google? I tried it and it said Google but it wouldn't show the page until I chose another tab and went back to that tab,

Site Moderator

Start Firefox in Safe Mode to check if one of the extensions or if hardware acceleration is causing the problem (switch to the DEFAULT theme: Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Appearance/Themes).

New Contributor

no, the tab says search

New Contributor

This is a new hard drive, the only add-ons I have is avg and adobe, I've tried disabling both of them to see if it would help, it didn't change a thing.

New Contributor

ok, I started in safe mode and it worked, I closed it and restarted and it was back to wrong, as I said, I only have the 2 add-ons, everything else is default. It doesn't change anything if I disable the add-ons I have.

New Contributor

That was it, I didn't download any extensions that I knew of so I didn't think that could be it, apparently avg added one and when I disabled it everything works now, thanks for all the help

New Contributor

hi after setting the browser newtab url to the desired page you should disable the avg search box. Simply in a new tab page just click restore default tab page on the bottom left corner and then it will open the url you have set.