Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i can't copy translate from google traslator, ctrl-c ctrl-v don't work

SOLVED
Highlighted
New User

i can't copy translate from google traslator, ctrl-c ctrl-v don't work

I have Fixefox 16.0.2 Win7 x64 . but the same problem on Ubuntu I can't copy translate from right panel in google translator, but in other browers is fine. Ctrl-c,ctrl-v and context menu didn't help me.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Site Moderator

Re: i can't copy translate from google traslator, ctrl-c ctrl-v don't work

You can set the Boolean pref dom.event.clipboardevents.enabled pref to false on the about:config page.

• Bug 807599 - Can't copy and paste from Google Translate since Firefox 16.0.2

(please do not comment in bug reports)

14 REPLIES
New User

I'm having the same issue, which I posted about in this thread:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/940871

Here are some more threads about copy and paste not working after the last update:

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/938242

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/940975

Hopefully, the Frefox developers will realize that this is a problem and fix it in the next update (preferably today)

Expert User

Also, please see this.

You can also install a Firefox add-on YesScript and temporarily Add translate.google.com via Firefox Tools (Alt + T) > Add-ons > Extensions, YesScript Options.

Site Moderator

You can set the Boolean pref dom.event.clipboardevents.enabled pref to false on the about:config page.

• Bug 807599 - Can't copy and paste from Google Translate since Firefox 16.0.2

(please do not comment in bug reports)

New User

dom.event.clipboardevents.enabled

This option helped me in Firefox 16 , but on other computer we have Ubuntu, this Firefox 11 and this option is absent. How can i fix bug this google translator. I haven't possibility to update firefox

New User

I have the same problem. If I use Google Translate I am unable to copy and paste the translated text anywhere - into a forum, to a new text document, a new Pages file.

I have tried resetting Firefox, to no avail. I have no Add-Ons. I don't have this issue using Safari.

It has started recently, I believe with the recent update of Firefox.

Site Moderator

If you can't use the dom.event.clipboardevents.enabled pref then try to hold down Ctrl+C until the translate selection disappears and the text on the left starts flashing.

New User

Thank you cor-el, that has helped me.

Regards, peter

New User

I am having this same issue!

Mozilla Support Contributor

Hi TheTexan1984, this seems to be an incompatibility with the scripts on Google Translate. Two workarounds have been documented in this thread, and a third in another thread. To summarize:

Hold Ctrl+c

Holding Ctrl+c seems to bypass or overload the script. Hold Ctrl+c until the large textbox to the left starts flashing, which may take 5-7 seconds.

Disable sites from intercepting clipboard commands

You can prevent websites from intercepting and/or canceling cut/copy/paste actions by changing a setting in the about:config preferences editor. Unfortunately, this is a global setting, so if some site is doing something positive by intercepting and canceling or replacing your cut/copy/paste action, you will lose that benefit. Still, if this Google translate problem is a major issue for you, it's probably worth a try.

(1) In a new tab, type or paste about:config in the address bar and press Enter. Click the button promising to be careful.

(2) In the filter box, type or paste clipb and pause while the list is filtered

(3) Double-click dom.event.clipboardevents.enabled to switch its value to false. You're done with this tab.

You might need to reload the Google translate page in order for this to take effect.

Use a bookmarklet to copy the translation text

Instead of using Ctrl+c or right-click>Copy, you could use a bookmarklet -- a script that you save as a bookmark and click when you want to run it. This one is specific to the Google Translate site as of today (changes to the page could break it).

(1) Copy the following line of code (it's all one line):

javascript:void(window.prompt("Copy translation result (e.g., Ctrl+c Enter):",document.getElementById("result_box").textContent));

(2) Right-click the Bookmarks Toolbar and choose New Bookmark

(3) Paste the code in as the Location

(4) Name the bookmark as you wish (for example, CopyGoogTrans)

Now, to copy, instead of selecting the result text, click the bookmark and follow the instructions.