Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to remove avg secure search

SOLVED
Highlighted
New User

how to remove avg secure search

I can't get rid off AVG secure search, I uninstalled avg and it still shows up when I search from the navigation toolbar.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
New User

Re: how to remove avg secure search

Hi, I was able to remove it but simply removing Search AVG from the "pre-selected" search engine. You can do this from the search box on the top RHS (see print screen). Click on the logo of your default search engine and you will see the list of all the search engines available. Simply remove AVG and you are done. Hope it will help

2011-05-19-02-05-17-5d3ad6.jpg
32 REPLIES
New User

This AVG secure Search is driving me CRAZY!!!!! I uninstalled AVG weeks ago, there's no AVG files on my add/remove page. I made Google my search engine...twice and it's still there!! Every answer I've found says to uninstall AVG! That obviously does NOTHING. PLEASE help me get rid of this thing. I'm so tired of having to type in Google.com every time I want to search for something.

New User

I am suffering from the same thing! It just happened a few days ago. I checked all settings, removed AVG ... nothing.

Please FFS help me find a solution for this. I'm gonna poop brix if I can't get rid of this.

New User

I had this frustrating problem too, so I went to about:config and set the "keyword.URL" value to http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=. This helped change the main nav bar search to Google, but I still couldn't change the homepage search.

Eventually, I switched my homepage to http://www.google.com/firefox?client=firefox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-USSmiley Surprisedfficial; this is the old Firefox homepage, but at least AVG search isn't used on this page.

However, I'm still looking to be able to use the new, cleaner looking about:home page and use it with Google search. Any help would be appreciated.

New User

The above did not work for me - it merely reverted back.

I previously disabled all AVG extensions and removed the AVG software (replaced with MSE) - still stuck with the AVG secure search. Here was my fix:

I went into Firefox with the about:config in the address bar used the filter to find all "browser.search" items. About 3 or 4 of the found items had AVG in them and I selected "reset" for each of them. My FF browser still had the AVG secure search in the search box, but it then also had the drop down menu in the search box back. Inside that drop down menu that was previously missing, I used the manage search engines option and deleted the AVG secure search option and all works well again.

While I was in the browser setting area I changed the Google search site value http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q= by adding an "s" after "http" to make it more secure.

Hope this fix works for others. I'm done with the invasive AVG forever, or at least until MSE starts to do similar things.

New User

Hi, I was able to remove it but simply removing Search AVG from the "pre-selected" search engine. You can do this from the search box on the top RHS (see print screen). Click on the logo of your default search engine and you will see the list of all the search engines available. Simply remove AVG and you are done. Hope it will help

2011-05-19-02-05-17-5d3ad6.jpg
New User

None of the above fixes worked for me. But I got rid of the AVG redirected search by removing a remaining AVG folder from the ProgramData directory on the main drive (CSmiley Happy of my computer. Then I rebooted Windows. I'm using Windows 7, so this may or may not help with other users. ProgramData is by default a hidden directory. So I had to temporarily change the view setting in my folder options.

New User

I'm stuck w/ this problem too. Although I'm not a computer wizard, I get the distinct feeling this is a battle of wills/attrition and AVG/Mozilla is trying to wear me down and finally relent to being compelled to use this less satisfactory search method. I am already on hour 2 of trying to undo what was done. Who has this kind of time to waste? This is exactly the type of thing I was trying to avoid when I switched from Internet Explorer to Firefox. That they would let this crap go on is a big strike against Mozilla.

New User

I don't understand where to go for this. Please treat me as a total idiot and explain step by step (without shorthand abbreviations) what to do. Thanks.

New User

Thanks for the info. I wasn't quite sure if i was doing things right, but when I rebooted my computer....VOILA! That pesky AVG search bar is gone and now I have the Google search bar in the upper right hand corner just like someone else said I should have.