Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to get rid of bing

SOLVED
Highlighted
New User

how to get rid of bing

OK, I had to reinstall Firefox, and now, every time I try searching off URL bar, Bing comes as default search engine. I have read this: Bing is added to the search engines that you can use for searching via the search bar on the Navigation Toolbar. If Bing is selected then you can choose another search engine by clicking the search engines icon. Open Manage Search Engines and click "Restore defaults" is some are missing or do a search on the Mycroft site.

See also:

Removing the Search Helper Extension and Bing Bar 

You can open the about:config page via the location bar and do a search for bing via the Filter at the top of that page. You can reset all bing related prefs via the right-click context menu to their default values.

I have removed Bing from search engines list. 5 times. Clicking "restore defaults" actually brings Bing back into list. I have modified Bing to Google via "about:config". Same difference - Bing stubbornly defaults as search engine when searching from URL bar.

Suggestions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Site Moderator

Re: how to get rid of bing

18 REPLIES
Site Moderator

New User

Worked. Thank you.

New User

and Bing is back....

Mozilla Support Contributor

If you have add-ons that change your settings, then this will happen, possibly each time you restart Firefox. You probably need to review your add-ons and disable or remove everything nonessential.

orange Firefox button or classic Tools menu > Add-ons

Check the Plugins and particularly the Extensions. After restarting Firefox, run the search reset again and hopefully this time it will stick.

New User

Thank you. What exactly to look for? I see no Bing name bearing s/w anywhere.

I have older version of FFx at home and have none of this trouble.

There are many possibilities. You can post of list of extensions for review if you like. If you open the following page, you can copy/paste the table under the heading Extensions:

Help > Troubleshooting Information

New User

OK, I have no add ons that even remotely refer to Bing; all extensions same way. MOF, I have only 2 plgins enabled, and only Java running, and all add ons disabled. So, it's a mystery.

I think the trick is that it isn't an official Microsoft Bing extension. If you click the "More" link for an Extension, sometimes the detailed write-up will mention using Bing technology. But it also could be completely hidden. Did you try disabling all (nonessential) extensions?

I may have misread your last post. After disabling nonessential extensions, run the search reset again. Hopefully then it won't revert back.