I upgraded to firefox 4 on my windows 7 computer and the home page was automatically set to the firefox 4 about:home start page. The search engine is automatically set to avg secure search. I want to set it to google(like the old home page) but I dont see an option to change it. I am aware I could just find the url for the old start page and use that but it would be nice to use the new one. anyone know how to change it?
07-15-2011 Locking this thread because it has gone off-topic. Please use Ask a new question and start your own thread. moderator
The Google search engine is hard coded for the about:home Home page. If you want to use another search engine then you need to change the Home page to another (search) page.
I'm also having the problem, and the solution suggested doesn't apply.
The about:home page is not hard coded for Google, at least on my Firefox v4. It's Yahoo, and I too would like to change it to Google. I can't seem to find out how to change it either.
ckeck trustnoone's answer here:
quoting: "If not I had to do this extra step where I had to reset these two things (search for them on filter: ) browser.startup.homepage_override.buildID
I had the same problem and tried this. It worked!
kudos to trustnoone!
make your homepage this-----http://www.google.com/firefox?client=firefox-a&rls
Just so it's easier, I'm gonna post a screen shot of what zarkony and I are talking about.
When we are at about:home, there's the search option on the page. After Zarkony deleted the AVG files, they are now in the same boat as me. That search goes to Yahoo. We want to set it to Google.
I've tried going through about:config but nothing seems to be about that default search option. What we're hoping is someone knows the solution to making that search, go to Google and not Yahoo, because Google is just all around better.
Is that clear enough? Or shall I explain more?
1. The picture you show it's the default Firefox page search bar. 2. If the search goes to Yahoo, then make sure Firefox is your default browser. Tools>Options>Advanced>General tab>check to make Firefox default browser. 3. If you want the home page to be Google, go to google.com and make that your home page: Tools>Options>General tab>click Use Current Page to make that your home page. You don't have to config anything.
I just did this and it worked!
1. open firefox, type in “about:config” in the keyword box (address bar).
2. scroll down to “keyword.url”
3. right click on the URL and select “modify”
4. copy and paste one of google’s three ways of searching:
Google’s “I’m Feeling Lucky”: http://www.google.com/search?btnI=I%27m+Feeling+Lu
Google “Browse by Name”: http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&sourceid=nav
Google Search (Google search results page): http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=