I downloaded and installed the Lightbeam add-on but how do you use or activate it?
Solved! Go to Solution.
Lightbeam is an add-on that allows you to monitor how third parties track and share your data as you visit the web. So, as you surf in the web Lightbeam will gather information that will be represented graphically. By reading the legend below (I draw a red line around them) the main black screen you can know about the different indicators shown:
- CIRCLES are sites that you have actually visited (the most popular sites have a logo, such as google, twitter or firefox)
- TRIANGLES are sites that are tracking you somehow. I have draw some light blue arrows to point them out.
- LINES show the links between the sites you have actually visited and those that are tracking you without having visited them
That is all about the basic use of it. There are some more options related to time and detail about the places listed (like the url of each one), which are located in the column to the left.
Hope it helps. Feel free to reply if you have more questions.
I have a similar problem, only I do not have anything in the right click menu and not in the corner of the browser. I am on a mac, maybe there is a different way to do it there?
I am not a Mac user, but let's see if you checked several things:
1) Open and select Firefox, then click alt+T and select Show Lightbeam.
2) If Show Lightbeam doesn't appear, select add-ons in the same menu, or use the shortcut crtl+shift+a. A new tab will appear, the add-ons Manager, you have to click in the Extensions tab. If you already installed Lightbeam, it should appear there, with a button that allows you to enable/disable it. Make sure that it is enabled.
Let us know how it goes.
As you can see from the attached screenshots i have checked all the things you mention. I am assumint alt-T is the tools menu, and there is no "SHOW LIGHTBEAM" option, also in the addon menu it is both installed and enabled...
I am having a different problem. I can see Lightbeam. I have a little icon on my toolbar. But it just doesn't do anything. It will show that I have connected with x amount of websites at the top but when I click on graph or clock there is no visualization at all. In fact nothing is clickable. I have NoScript. Could that be interfering with it somehow? It is not showing any scripts being blocked. Thanks for any help.
Hi ilyavg, if you use the Customize feature, can you find the Lightbeam icon and move it to a more useful location? This article describes the steps to do that, and discover whether it is on the Add-on Bar (not displayed in your screen shot) or possibly in the dialog with other unused buttons: Customize Firefox controls, buttons and toolbars.
I'm not sure why it is not appearing on your Tools menu. Do you have any add-ons that let you modify menus? If so, check to see whether it needs to be added there.
I do not have it in the customize menu (I have looked there previously) it is strange, to say the least. (see the screenshots). Perhaps any other suggestions?