cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how do lock down browser settings? i need to deploy the latest version of firefox to the enterprise

SOLVED
Highlighted
New User

how do lock down browser settings? i need to deploy the latest version of firefox to the enterprise

I work for a company with 4000+ users and I have been tasked to deploy the latest version of Firefox. I need to lock down the browser settings, setup home page, disable auto updates, rebrand the browser (e.g. Mozilla Firefox provided by companyname). i was able to do this with firefox 3.x but I cant seem to make it work with version 7.0.1

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Site Moderator

Re: how do lock down browser settings? i need to deploy the latest version of firefox to the enterprise

The greprefs folder no longer exists with the change to using a ZIP archive omni.jar and you need to place a file local-settings.js in the defaults\pref instead.

You can use a mozilla.cfg file in the Firefox program folder to lock prefs or specify default values.

Place a file local-settings.js in the defaults\pref folder where you also find the file channel-prefs.js to specify using mozilla.cfg.

pref("general.config.filename", "mozilla.cfg");
pref("general.config.obscure_value", 0); // use this to disable the byte-shift

See:

6 REPLIES
Site Moderator

Re: how do lock down browser settings? i need to deploy the latest version of firefox to the enterprise

The greprefs folder no longer exists with the change to using a ZIP archive omni.jar and you need to place a file local-settings.js in the defaults\pref instead.

You can use a mozilla.cfg file in the Firefox program folder to lock prefs or specify default values.

Place a file local-settings.js in the defaults\pref folder where you also find the file channel-prefs.js to specify using mozilla.cfg.

pref("general.config.filename", "mozilla.cfg");
pref("general.config.obscure_value", 0); // use this to disable the byte-shift

See:

New User

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried this and now Firefox will not launch

New User

Thanks for your help!! I was making a mistake by not zipping the contents of the omni.jar when i modified the following: brand.dtd, brand.properties and browserconfig.properties

Can you provide me the info to disable to Update option under Help/About Firefox?

Site Moderator

You can lock the appropriate prefs and set the update URL to an empty string if necessary

lockPref("app.update.auto", false);
lockPref("app.update.url", "");
New User

That worked!

Thanks for all your help!!

Site Moderator

You're welcome