cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how do i turn off password manager on firefox 18, the option box is ticked but shaded so i can't untick it

SOLVED
Highlighted
New User

how do i turn off password manager on firefox 18, the option box is ticked but shaded so i can't untick it

I am prompted every time i visit a site that i enter a password on to save it in firefox 18, it's now getting annoying. I have tried to turn it off, but the box in firefox settings is shaded and won't allow me to turn password manager off, i know i can choose "never for this site" in the settings but with just about every site you go to now requires you to sign in it is really getting on my nerves. if this can't be resolved i may reluctantly have to change browser.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
New User

Re: how do i turn off password manager on firefox 18, the option box is ticked but shaded so i can't untick it

The instructions at

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Internet-Security-Norton/Firefox-Bug-Norton-add-ons-trigger-Fi...

explain how to change the N360 setting to resolve this problem.

Tested and works. No more unwanted prompts.

18 REPLIES
Site Moderator

Re: how do i turn off password manager on firefox 18, the option box is ticked but shaded so i can't untick it

hello, do you use a norton security product by any chance? it might interfere with the firefox password management...

http://community.norton.com/t5/Norton-Toolbar-Norton-Identity/NIS-2013-Norton-Toolbar-Unselects-Fire...

otherwise you could try to reset firefox and see if this makes a difference (this will keep your bookmarks and passwords): Refresh Firefox - reset add-ons and settings

New User

yes i use norton 360 and i use idenity safe, so have no requirements for firefox password management, this is the first firefox i have had this problem with it's never been a problem with any other firefox below firefox 18. i have always used norten 360

Site Moderator

Make sure that you do not run Firefox in (permanent) Private Browsing mode.

• Tools > Options > Privacy: Use custom settings for history
  • Deselect: [ ] "Always use private browsing mode"
New User

Same problem, I want firefox password manager GONE.

New User

I do use "custom settings for history" and have never used "Always use private browsing mode"

I haven't changed anything all I did was update firefox from firefox 17 to firefox 18 and all of a sudden this firefox password manager keeps popping up and in settings the box is shaded and wont let me turn it off, if its not sorted in a week or so im changing browser its doing my head in

Site Moderator

Very understandable, Steven. My guess is that a addon is causing this. And rather than have you type the names of all your addons, which would very annoying if you have a lot. There's a way you can copy all the information and paste it here.

Please read this article and follow the steps there:

Then after having copied the information, paste it into this thread so I can try to see if one of the addons may be causing this. My guess is a password related addon.

New User

I've found out Norton add-ons are doing it for me, but only since FF18. So apparently something Mozilla did is making third party add-ons bug out. Funny that we went from v3 to v18 in such a short time and most of these updates add support for things that only >0.01% of users actually use and have the side effects of making our favorite add-ons break.

Site Moderator

hello insevin, in this case please report the issue to norton's support since they are the only ones who can fix bugs or make necessary adjustments in their addon. thank you...

New User

Ha, sure, it will fall to Norton to fix Mozilla's problems. I already have, I'm sure they will fix it soon.