cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how do I stop pop-up adverts continually appearing?

Highlighted
New Contributor

how do I stop pop-up adverts continually appearing?

I am continually getting adds popping up on the right side and at the bottom of the screen, thwere does not seem to be any way to block them or unsubscribe

6 REPLIES
Site Moderator

Re: how do I stop pop-up adverts continually appearing?

hello rob, this may be an issue with adware on your pc. please go to firefox > addons > extensions & remove any suspicious entries (toolbars, things that you have not installed intentionally, don't know what purpose they serve, etc). also go to the windows control panel / programs and remove all toolbars or potentially unwanted software from there and run a full scan of your system with the security software that you have in place and different other tools like the free version of malwarebytes & adwcleaner.

Remove a toolbar that has taken over your Firefox search or home page Troubleshoot Firefox issues caused by malware

New Contributor

I began to have this problem only recently. I finally left-clicked on the pop-up in the lower right corner and then discovered the pop-up was from Adobe flash player, not mozilla/firefox. Just click the appropriate box to tell Adobe you don't want any search history saved.

New Contributor

The above fix only solved part of the problem. I uninstalled Adobe Flash and also found a program, "Top Arcade Hits", and uninstalled it too. Of course I'll have to reinstall Adobe Flash and hope the other program doesn't tag along with it!

Site Moderator

Please update to the current Firefox 23 release.

• Help > About Firefox

The Firefox 14 version that you currently run is no longer supported with security updates.

• It is important to update Firefox and add-ons to the latest version to get all security fixes.
New Contributor

Already have Firefox 23 installed.

Site Moderator

Top Arcade Hits actually have an uninstaller that works I believe.

it is also possible to unuinstall with registry hacks IIRC, but that is something best avoided. It is globally installed and I believe affects other browsers not just Firefox.

Pleas take care installing software.

• Try to read reviews on the software and the download site
  • Carefully review and probably reject any additional software bundled as extras

Next time it could be aggressive malware that is acquired.