cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

firefox update (19.0) keeps crashing when I open anything new or try to refresh. VERY IRRITATING!!!

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Contributor

firefox update (19.0) keeps crashing when I open anything new or try to refresh. VERY IRRITATING!!!

I updated firefox as was "suggested." I was happy and had NO PROBLEMS with the older version. now whenever I try to open a new tab, a new page, or refresh an old page, this version crashes. REPEATEDLY. It is very frustrating and irritating. I do not like IE and do not want to change over to it, but if your "upgrade" keeps crashing, I don't really have any other alternative.

It also opens 2 tabs when I click on a news story. it crashes when i control c or control v. it crashes when i back space.

I bet I've already sent 30 crash reports since I updated. What the F... are you doing with them???

PLEASE FIX THIS UPDATED VERSION (19.0). At the current time, it is a piece of crap!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
New Contributor

Re: firefox update (19.0) keeps crashing when I open anything new or try to refresh. VERY IRRITATING!!!

I did all the suggested "remedies" too. Nothing worked. So I went to my external HD back up to copy and reinstall the old version back on to my computer HD. All of the problems stopped -- immediately! I won't be updating again.

21 REPLIES
Legendary Contributor

Re: firefox update (19.0) keeps crashing when I open anything new or try to refresh. VERY IRRITATING!!!

Hi kathydu, could you copy some of the crash IDs from the following tab and post them in a reply here?

about:crashes

Also, in case it is a problem of an incompatible add-on, could you try Firefox's Safe Mode.

First, I recommend backing up your Firefox settings in case something goes wrong. See Back up and restore information in Firefox profiles. (You can copy your entire Firefox profile folder somewhere outside of the Mozilla folder.)

Next, restart Firefox in Firefox's Safe Mode (Troubleshoot Firefox issues using Safe Mode) using

Help > Restart with Add-ons Disabled

In the dialog, click "Start in Safe Mode."

If you can now browse normally, this points to one of your extensions or custom settings as the problem. If no change, hmmm...

Legendary Contributor

Also, could you disable ALL your plugins except Flash. I don't recognize most of them and those that I do are not essential for most sites.

You can do that here:

orange Firefox button or classic Tools menu > Add-ons > Plugins category

Legendary Contributor

A couple of other users are reporting problems with Firefox 19 on Windows 8.

If you want to try reinstalling Firefox 18.0.2, the installer is still up on this site at the moment:

http://releases.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/18.0.2/win32/en-US/

You can adjust your automatic update preferences to ask you before downloading.

orange Firefox button or classic Tools menu > Options > Advanced > Update

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/advanced-settings-browsing-network-updates-encryption#w_update-...

New Contributor

I had backed up my computer on my external hard drive. None of your links or anything else you sent worked. So I copied my "old" Firefox file back onto my computer hard drive, and, voila! Everything works the way it should again. I will not update again. Too much frustration, etc.

But thanks for trying to help me.

New Contributor

I'm with you kathydu! 19 messed up what had been a good experience with 18.0.2. I changed back, but then someone said "resetting FF 19 would make all the bad stuff go away", so I re-updated, did the reset, and of course, it improved nothing. So, now I'm back to 18, and really, really wish Mozilla, Apple, & Google would TEST THOROUGHLY all new "updates" BEFORE they release them to the public!! I am so very tired of discovering the new is far worse than the old......

New Contributor

I did all the suggested "remedies" too. Nothing worked. So I went to my external HD back up to copy and reinstall the old version back on to my computer HD. All of the problems stopped -- immediately! I won't be updating again.

Legendary Contributor

There was a problem with Firefox 19 on Windows 8 when the system had certain graphics card drivers. There might not be enough Windows 8 users testing pre-release versions of Firefox, otherwise this would have been picked up much earlier.

New Contributor

Well, I'm on a Mac, so it isn't only about certain graphics cards on Windows 8...

Legendary Contributor

Hi StevenCee, has anyone taken a look at your crash IDs to see whether they have the same signature? You can copy the crash IDs from this page:

about:crashes

and then post some of them here.