cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

firefox freezes windows 8

Highlighted
New User

firefox freezes windows 8

Since installing windows 8 firefox keeps freezing. I waited to install FF17 but even that freezes the very same way.

• The only way I have found to solve it is to restart the computer and once in a while it fixes the issue till the next restart when the same happens again.
  • I have used FF for long and never saw this till I installed Windows 8 Pro few days ago.
  • I opened FF in safemode and the exact same happens so I guess this is not an add-on problem.
  • I reseted my FF and same problem is there.
  • After resetting, I opened FF in safemode, and still problem is there.
  • This happens when I open a webpage (most pages but not all), and after a long freeze FF says "Unresponsive script" and depending on the webpage gives a line, for example this when I tried to open www.BBCpersian.com:

Script: http://node1.bbcimg.co.uk/glow/glow/1.7.3/core/core.js:19

Tags (2)
15 REPLIES
Site Moderator

Re: firefox freezes windows 8

Try to disable some settings in the Properties > Compatibility tab of the Firefox desktop shortcut.

• disable visual themes
  • disable desktop composition
  • disable display scaling on high DPI settings
New User

In Compatibility tab, I can see the "disable display scaling on high DPI settings" option, where are the other two?

Site Moderator

New User

I checked these and none of them solved the issue: 1. "disable display scaling on high DPI settings" option 2. Run under comparability with Windows 7 3. Run under comparability with Windows Vista

What else can I do?

should I assume that Mozilla knows of this incompatibility issue between FF17 (same with FF16.0.2) and Windows 8 Pro? Is anyone working on this?

Site Moderator

Try to boot the computer in Windows Safe mode with network support (press F8 on the boot screen) as a test to see if that helps.

New User

So should I assume that Mozilla is aware of this incompatibility between FF17 and Windows 8 Pro?

New User

My firefox 17.01 with flash player 11.5.502..110 and windows 8 Pro x64 with Bitdefender 2013 hangs all day log. go to amazon and it hangs. task manager no cpu usage. kill process use chrome or oper or ie. but no firefox. i wish i could use my favorite firefox.

New User

For the record, Firefox worked perfectly for me on Windows 8 initially, but became unusable after I installed my first Windows 8 update. (Which I didn't want but couldn't refuse, but that's a whole nother rant)

New User

For what it's worth, I have found that if you run Firefox in administrator mode, it does not freeze. Apparently there is a permission problem in Firefox or the flash plugin?