Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

firefox does not ask me if i want to save my password

SOLVED
Highlighted
New User

firefox does not ask me if i want to save my password

i just bought a new computer, downloaded the latest firefox (did not import any info from my old computer's firefox yet), and though i saw the expected prompt to save a password when entering one on a site once (i did not save it at the time), the prompt no longer appears. the same thing occurs for any site, it never asks me if i want to save a password. i've rechecked my settings, and i have it set correctly to ask for it (the box IS clicked to 'remember passwords for sites', don't have it in 'private browsing' mode either (the option is grayed oust), have disabled any add-ons that i had (i only have AdBlock and McAfee as add-ons), have restarted Firefox multiple times, and still no luck, it never asks me if i want to save a password for any logons on any sites. i'm running Windows 7, and using Firefox 3.6.11. HELP! thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Support Forum Moderator

Re: firefox does not ask me if i want to save my password

Tools > Options > Privacy
un-check Automatically start Firefox in a private browsing session
Then restart Firefox

30 REPLIES
Site Moderator

What do you mean with "the option is grayed oust": don't have it in 'private browsing' mode either (the option is grayed oust)

If you see a grayed Stop Private Browsing in the Tools menu then that means that you are in Private Browsing mode. Firefox won't offer to store passwords if you are in Private Browsing mode.

New User

yeah, the Stop Private Browsing option is grayed out (i'm unable to click it)... so that means i'm IN Private Browsing???? how do i get OUT of private browsing?

Support Forum Moderator

Tools > Options > Privacy
un-check Automatically start Firefox in a private browsing session
Then restart Firefox

New User

awesome, problem resolved!! i didn't see that, i'm an idiot... thanks!!!!!!!!

New User

Nope, 'Automatically start Firefox in a private browsing session' was unchecked and I'm still having this problems of Firefox not asking and not saving my passwords.

This started with the new update of Firefox 3.6.12.

Site Moderator

Is remember passwords still checked: Tools > Options > Security: Passwords: "Remember passwords for sites" ?

Start Firefox in Troubleshoot Firefox issues using Safe Mode to check if one of your add-ons is causing your problem (switch to the DEFAULT theme: Tools > Add-ons > Themes).

• Don't make any changes on the Safe mode start window.

See Troubleshoot extensions, themes and hardware acceleration issues to solve common Firefox problems and Troubleshoot issues with plugins like Flash or Java to fix common Firefox problems

New User

I have FF 3.6.12 on a new computer with Windows 7 64 bit. Private browsing is not on.

New User

I have FF 3.6.12 as well. Firefox saves MOST of my passwords but sometimes it does not...specifically tvguide.com/listings. How can I "force" the password to be saved or can I type it in somewhere?

Support Forum Moderator

You can use the Saved Password Editor extension to add passwords to Firefox manually.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/60265