cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

firefox added a "search bar" as a tab. I don't want it. How do I get rid of it?

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Contributor

firefox added a "search bar" as a tab. I don't want it. How do I get rid of it?

This was solved a long time ago. I previously flagged it as solved. I continue to get suggestions.. I don't need them. I've tried "unsubscribe" too, but I still get answers. NO FURTHER ANSWERS ARE NEEDED. Thank you. recently Firefox installed a search bar in line with my tabs. I don't want it and can't find how to get rid of it.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
New Contributor

Re: firefox added a "search bar" as a tab. I don't want it. How do I get rid of it?

I tried all the manual removals only to be left with Funmoods showing up as intermittent search engine. Firefox version 15 Go to Help: Troubleshooting Information; Reset Firefox

24 REPLIES
Shooting Star Contributor

Re: firefox added a "search bar" as a tab. I don't want it. How do I get rid of it?

Hi,

Please check if this happens in Safe Mode.

Problematic Extensions

Troubleshooting Extensions and Themes

Uninstalling Add-ons

Uninstalling Toolbars

Safe mode disables the installed Extensions, and themes (Appearance) in Tools (Alt + T) > Add-ons. Hardware acceleration is also temporarily disabled - the manual setting is Tools > Options > Advanced > General > Use hardware acceleration when available. Options > Advanced. All these settings/add-ons can also be individually or collectively disabled/enabled/changed in Firefox normal mode to check if an extension, theme or hardware acceleration is causing issues.

Options

New Contributor

I think perhaps you misread my question, or I didn't state it very well. During the last firefox update a new tab showed up on my tab (always on) line. It's a moderately long tab with green, blue, red, and yellow dots (one each) and the words "search here" Next to it is a little box with an "i" inside a circle. If I click on that I get this "Search faster with the updated search bar" no other identification of the, I presume, add on. You can see it in the partial screen shot in the attached image. I have looked through add ons and managing, but I can not identify this as being enabled. I want to get rid of it.

2012-03-28-14-38-13-2fc335.png
Legendary Contributor

Is that Firefox's built-in search box, or something from an add-on?

Assuming it's Firefox's search box, can you use the Customize feature to move that search box back to the Navigation toolbar?

Alt+v (displays classic View menu) > Toolbars > Customize

If it's from an add-on, perhaps you can identify the culprit from the search engine it uses?

New Contributor

The last item in your suggestions tells me it's from Yahoo. I've gone through add-ons manager and tools, options, but can't find it, let alone how I get rid of it.

You can try to check in the Windows Control Panel Programs and Features for anything related to Yahoo, other than the main applications. Please note that though the search may be going to Yahoo, it could have been installed by a completely different application. You can try to click on the small down arrow on the left side of the search bar. It may have a settings option or a name. If it's still present in Safe Mode, it may not be an addon.

New Contributor

It is still there in Safe Mode. I am not able to find any identifying information on it. It definitely has been made part of the tabs. If I move the tabs around (on top or not) it moves with them. There was nothing in the Programs and Features that was any help.

Please also check if this is present in a new profile.

Profiles Howto

New Contributor

It seems to part of the add-ons. I was able to remove it by going to the add-ons in the Firefox menu, and taking to following steps:

Add-ons menu, Extensions, Default tab, Click "remove" (I tried just disabling it, but it didn't seem to work, so I removed it.)

It should then ask if it's ok to restart and when it opens up again, the search box should be gone. Hope this helps, it worked for me.

New Contributor

Thank you so very much for the information on getting rid of that search tab ....I have been trying to figure it out since yesterday when it popped up. I was getting aggravated with it. Nothing I tired worked, again thank you for the help...