Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

firefox NEVER crashed. Firefox 7 crashes and locks up every five minutes

SOLVED
Highlighted
New User

firefox NEVER crashed. Firefox 7 crashes and locks up every five minutes

I switched to FF a few years ago and never had a problem Wonderful program. FF wanted to upgrade to V7, and it installed fine. Since then, FF locks up every five minutes so bad I have to reboot. My email locks up, yahoo freezes, and I cannot type more than 5 letters in a chat without lockup. Somehow, your annoying help section tries to blame this on other programs!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
New User

Re: firefox NEVER crashed. Firefox 7 crashes and locks up every five minutes

Mozilla is up to 9.01. I Did not have any issues with 7.x... But 8.x and 9.x are nightmares... on Xp, Win7 and OSX... All I can say is use something else like Safari, Opera or even IE. they All are more stable than FF. Smiley Sad

47 REPLIES
New User

W7 FF7 Nightmare. Hanging, crashing, email exploitation!!! Be wary prior to update. Wait for fixes Do not risk upgrading to FF7. It was 6:12 AM and I was still trying to catch up with the horrors of the last 2 days. It actually managed to do a job on my W7 Live mail that exploited my outbound server (by running some script) and used up my server's 250 relay allowance. Who'd of thought this would create such a nightmare for a simple home office user. WOW!! I am using Safari and my web based email until this issue is corrected. In all the years of raving about FF being a saving grace from the IE debacles, I am truly dumfounded.

New User

FF 7 locked up over and over all day. I will try downloading to an earlier version. Never thought I would EVER say this, but going back to IE9. Most annolying aspect is the FF help form that wants to know the error code. There is no error coded for, "Firefox 7 has frozen up again and nothing works!"

New User

Well, I'm done with FF. Thanks for the ride, but this is beyond the pale. I lost track of the lockups and reboots today, so switched to IE9. That was five hours ago and not a single problem. And mozilla has the nerve to claim this is caused by another program! They do not bother IE at all. Good bye FF, let us know when you get it fixed.

New User

Agree, so tired of the memory leaks (still a memory hog even though v.7 was meant to fix this) -- Slow, bloated, freezes, crashes. Firefox once a glorious browser is now a soggy wet steaming pile of ....

Off to chrome. Bye and thanks for the fish

New User

Just before removing FF7, I went to espn.com to see the college football schedule for Saturday. Not one game video would play, none of the sports shows, nothing. All black boxes. Went ti IE9 and the videos played fined.

Uninstalled FF7, rebooted, installed FF 3.6.23. Not a single glitch or lockup. On espn.com, all the videos play perfectly.

I don't mind apps having problems, it happens. But the REALLY annoying part, the REALLY insulting part, is that mozilla continues to claim there is nothing wrong with FF7.

That is mind boggling arrogance.

New User

I'm really sad to say this, but I think I might be done with Firefox too, after years and years. I'm very grateful for all the years, but lately it's just too unreliable. The past couple of versions have just been awful. The latest one won't stay working for more than a couple of minutes, it just freezes.

I'm typing this in Safari, and sad to say I may stay in Safari.

New User

Yes, me too. I moved to FF years ago when IE just could not function without locking up if I had more than about 5 or 6 tabs open. It would pause and might take several minutes to unfreeze itself.

Now, FF7 is even worse because after the lockup [anywhere from 1 to 30 minutes] FF7 would not clear itself. I would try to X out and close, but that would not work.

I had to use Task Manager to kill the FF7 beast, and that only worked 3/4 of the time. Many times the lockup was so bad I had to reboot.

I now have FF 3.6.23 which seems very solid, but mozilla has warned that it will not support it for long. I am use Chrome and [gulpp IE9.

When mozilla drops upgrades for the older FF versions, I will sadly leave FF

New User

As much as I like Firefox, I'm trying to get everything changed over to chrome. If you can't get the major bugs fixed before you release something, you shouldn't be in business. Also when you check for updates now, they are automatically downloaded and you have no choice but install them. BUT, you can do a search on your computer for Firefox and if Firefox 5.0 comes up, you can re-install it. Smiley Happy

Senior User
Senior User

Hi, everyone! Based on your reports we've been able to reproduce the symptoms that many people have been reporting in this question and others like this. The main symptom in question is that Firefox freezes for anywhere from 20 seconds to 2 minutes every 10 minutes, while utilizing the CPU at 100%.

We have a work-around that people can attempt to try to see if they are having the same problem that we've found.

We'd love it if people could try this out and report if it worked for them, or if it didn't. One of our developers, Marco, has posted an extension with instructions on the right options to choose: http://blog.bonardo.net/2011/09/30/is-your-firefor-freezing-at-regular-intervals

When you run this on your profile, Firefox will hang for a few minutes. Please let it complete - it takes some time.