cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

firefox 21.0 can't download pdf to imac running 10.7.5. How can I get pdfs to download so I read them?

Highlighted
New User

firefox 21.0 can't download pdf to imac running 10.7.5. How can I get pdfs to download so I read them?

On an imac running 10.7.5 with fire fox 21.0. Running adobe reader 11.0.03. Tried preferences, applications, went to pdf and selected Use PDF Browser Plugin 2.4.4. Nothing happens. Anyone able to provide a solution?

27 REPLIES
Mozilla Support Contributor

Re: firefox 21.0 can't download pdf to imac running 10.7.5. How can I get pdfs to download so I read them?

If I understand correctly, the "PDF Browser Plugin 2.4.4" plugin is the Schubert|it plugin.

To download, what if you change your PDF preference to "Save File" or "Always Ask"? You can try that here:

Firefox menu > Preferences > Applications

If you prefer to use the plugin to view the file inside a Firefox tab, but Firefox cannot find the plugin, it could be related to change in the folder structure of the Mozilla folder in Firefox 21. Did it work correctly in Firefox 20 and earlier?

New User

Re: firefox 21.0 can't download pdf to imac running 10.7.5. How can I get pdfs to download so I read them?

Changed PDF preference to save file. Did not down load. I downloaded this plug in because adobe wasn't working either. Worked fine until this update of firefox. Any other ideas, quite frustrating.

I should have asked before. What exactly is happening when you click the link to the PDF: are you getting a blank tab? Are you getting the built-in Firefox PDF Viewer in a tab?

New User

the little wheel spins in the tab, stops and then nothing. Nothing appears. I don't get the built in firefox pdf viewer tab-or I haven't seen it. Where is it and how would I get that to appear? I'm willing to try anything, the pdfs I have to download are on a website that only allows pdfs to be downloaded on firefox not safari. I don't like it, but I didn't write the program, I think it was written by a non mac educated programmer!

To use the built-in PDF viewer, change the drop-down in the Application preferences to "Preview in Firefox". When it works correctly -- it's not compatible with all PDFs yet -- you see a reasonable facsimile of the PDF content and there is a download button to save the file on the viewer toolbar.

New User

I disabled the other reader in plug-ins. Went to applications and selected preview in firefox. Again nothing happened. Should I reinstall firefox and see if that is the issue? I'm on day 2 of trying to figure this out, quite the puzzler.

If the problem only affects the one website, there's something else I suggest trying first. When you have a problem with one particular site, a good "first thing to try" is clearing your Firefox cache and deleting your saved cookies for the site.

(1) Bypass Firefox's Cache

Use Command+Shift+r to reload the page fresh from the server.

Alternately, you also can clear Firefox's cache completely using:

Firefox menu > Preferences > Advanced

On the Network mini-tab > Cached Web Content : "Clear Now"

If you have a large hard drive, this might take a few minutes.

(2) Remove the site's cookies (save any pending work first). While viewing a page on the site:

• Tools menu > Page Info > Security > "View Cookies"
  • click globe/lock icon in the address bar > More Information > Security > "View Cookies"

This will open a dialog where you can remove that site's cookies individually.

Then try reloading the page. Does that help?

New User

Did the above. This time the little wheel in the tab button started turning, then turned blue as it was turning (so I thought it was going to work because I had never seen that happen). However once the wheel stopped turning no documents appeared. Still have preview in firefox selected. Do the documents download to a file somewhere? Thanks.

When using a viewer, the file is downloaded to a temporary location, but I'm not sure where (i.e., Temp folder, Firefox cache).

If PDFs used to open in the Adobe plugin in Firefox, then a change in Firefox 21 might be affecting that. A shared folder where some plugins were located before has changed and the files need to be copied over. I don't know the correct folders on Mac, as I've only seen discussions about Flash on Linux and Windows Media Player and AlternaTIFF on Windows. Hopefully someone else can advise on that issue.