cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

finding Sync Recovery Key

Highlighted
New User

finding Sync Recovery Key

I have a working Firefox Sync account with 3 computers synced. That is, I already have working 3 computers with a working Sync account across them. I want to add a 4th computer, but I need my recovery key. I don't have it. The instructions say, To get a copy of my Recovery Key, I need to "At the top of the Firefox window, click on the Firefox button and then click options, then Sync, then Manage Account." I can't find a Firefox button with any choice of Options. There is an Options choice under Tools, but under Sync, but there is no Manage Account button. I can't start over and re-register because Firefox says my email account already has an account (I agree). Please, where is this Manage Account button?

Tags (2)
34 REPLIES
Site Moderator

Re: finding Sync Recovery Key

If sync is set up on a computer and working then you should be able to access the sync settings including the sync key in Firefox or Tools > Options > Sync

You can find the Password of the Sync account and the Sync Key in the password manager on computers where have setup that sync account with a specific e-mail address.

• Tools > Options > Security: Passwords: "Saved Passwords" > "Show Passwords"

Look for:

• chrome://weave (Mozilla Services Password)
  • chrome://weave (Mozilla Services Encryption Passphrase)
New User

"If sync is set up on a computer and working then you should be able to access the sync settings including the sync key in Firefox or Tools > Options > Sync " When I follow Tools.Options>Sync, I am given 2 choices-Set Up Firefox Sync (which invites me to Create an Account or I have an Account), or Pair A Device. Nothing that says Manage Account. All choices eventually ask for my Recovery Key. Following Tools > Options > Security: Passwords: "Saved Passwords" > "Show Passwords" gives me my password, but I already have my password. I need my recovery key, which Firefox keeps telling me is under Manage Account. Where is Manage Account?

Site Moderator

Sync hasn't been setup if you get the window to pair a device, so you won't be able to retrieve the sync key from such a computer.

Did you check this on the other computers that you stated have working sync account?

New User

I can find no Manage account when i click on sync options. I cannot set up sync no matter what. There is a program error that requires someone's attention. I've tried everything.

Support Forum Moderator

dehuth-@-gmail.com

Please provide a screenshot of the Options > Sync window.

New User

As you can see there is no Manage Account option.

2012-11-28-08-32-20-2667c0.png
Support Forum Moderator

That is a Sync Setup dialog - it looks like Sync isn't completely set up on that PC yet. Are you able to click the Done button?

New User

I can click the done button, but to no avail. It is possible that a recent crash caused me to reinstall programs and I may have lost the setup. However, I would have thought that the set up sync would have allowed me to start over. No?

Site Moderator

What do you see in the Firefox or Tools menu?

If Sync hasn't been set up then you have a "Set Up Sync" entry in the Firefox menu and in the Tools menu.
If Sync has been set up and is working then that entry changes to "Sync Now".
So you can check this on each computer to see if there is one that has been set up properly.

That computer should have the sync key saved in the password manager.