cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ff 19 crashed and lost all tabs when restarted, and no session restore button. started again in safe mode but new problem, opens 2 windows, one with old tabs ,

Highlighted
New Contributor

ff 19 crashed and lost all tabs when restarted, and no session restore button. started again in safe mode but new problem, opens 2 windows, one with old tabs ,

new problem: when open in safe mode, 2 windows appear; one is my old view with all old tabs, the other is the new window that opens without tabs, instead of the one i want -- ie one with tabs displayed. when i try to close this new window [still in safe mode] both windows close and i'm back where i started.

using ff 19 under win xp

16 REPLIES
Site Moderator

Re: ff 19 crashed and lost all tabs when restarted, and no session restore button. started again in safe mode but new problem, opens 2 windows, one with old tabs ,

We're sorry to hear that your Firefox seems to be crashing. Please perform the following steps to give us a crash report ID that helps us find out more about the cause of the crash.

1. Enter about:crashes in the Firefox location bar (that's where you enter your website names) and press Enter. You should now see a list of submitted crash reports.
  2. Copy the most recent 5 report IDs that you see in the crash report window and paste them into your forum response.

Thanks in advance for your help!

More information and further troubleshooting steps can be found in the Firefox crashes - Troubleshoot, prevent and get help fixing crashes article.

Site Moderator

Re: ff 19 crashed and lost all tabs when restarted, and no session restore button. started again in safe mode but new problem, opens 2 windows, one with old tabs ,

You can check for problems with the sessionstore.js and sessionstore.bak files in the Firefox Profile Folder that store session data.

Delete the sessionstore.js file and possible sessionstore-##.js files with a number and sessionstore.bak in the Firefox Profile Folder.

Deleting sessionstore.js will cause App Tabs and Tab Groups and open and closed (undo) tabs to get lost, so you will have to create them again (make a note or bookmark them).

New Contributor

you havent told me how to get my tabs back

this has happened before and now its happened again, less than 3 weeks since last time

seems like a chronic issue w/ ff

New Contributor

thank you for the answer

still, ff doesnt crash alot, so thats not the main issue

i need to know how to get my tabs back

Site Moderator

What is wrong with the tabs? What info are on the tabs? If it works in safe mode then add-on is causing the issue.

New Contributor

all the previous tabs are gone

history menu does not permit restore previous session

Site Moderator

If there also no recently closed tabs or windows then I'm afraid that you have lost the tabs from that session unless you have a backup or the sessionstore.js file.

More recent Windows versions can keep older copies of files, but XP doesn't have this feature.

New Contributor

suppose sessionstore.js still exists in profile folder, how do i extract my old tabs/session from it?

i opened a new tab and typed in the location bar: about:sessionrestore but the page that came up was blank.

why cant ff keep a permanent, stable record of tabs? its really tedious to locate in history all hundred pages i had tabbed and reopen them manually; but its ridiculous to have to do this every two weeks because ff cant retain the data

this problem started when ff automatically updated to version 19

if i roll back to ff 18 can i restore my old tabs?

how to i roll back the version?

New Contributor

61eb5cfd-a467-4aa2-afec-d17b972a6c31-browser 3/17/2013 2:52 AM
61eb5cfd-a467-4aa2-afec-d17b972a6c31 3/17/2013 2:51 AM
2c864bee-38c7-46c9-8435-452ee7daa6e2 12/24/2012 6:05 PM
e4bafa1a-65f6-4fcd-ba2f-3818ed53a7ac 12/24/2012 6:04 PM
ed4b7ebd-893b-4d78-b5c2-8781b2736d5f 12/1/2012 12:18 AM
1d1ed91e-87d8-4a1d-b4de-7324c5eef955 12/1/2012 12:17 AM
f0d6d55a-48bc-46ef-94d2-236e8ce59158 11/27/2012 9:28 PM
ea3fe495-8e3f-46a9-9ab5-4699228b73fb 11/27/2012 9:28 PM