The genealogy site https://familysearch.org/search is stuck in firefox, even in safe mode.
This applies to linux as well as to windows 7, 64bit, enterprise (FF20.0.1).
The page opens and the blue search bottom is stuck with "Loading". Normally it shows "Search"
The site is working well with IE9.
Solved! Go to Solution.
Many site issues can be caused by corrupt cookies or cache. In order to try to fix these problems, the first step is to clear both cookies and the cache. Note: This will temporarily log you out of all sites you're logged in to. To clear cache and cookies do the following:
Further information can be found in the Clear your cache, history and other personal information in Firefox article.
Did this fix your problems? Please report back to us!
this I tried before posting the message. In addition the problem exist on different computers with different operations systems (and different history). Does yours suggestion imply that you could not reproduce it? This would be a hint.
In what way is that website not working?
Does this already happen with the main login page?
Try to disable IPv6.
You can try to reset (power off/on) the router.
If it happens on other OS as well then it is not very likely that a reset (new profile) will fix this and you need to look for common components that are used in all setups.
thanks to Tylerdowner and cor-el. Indeed it seems to be a problem with the profile. Starting firefox in safe-mode did NOT help, but running it with a new profile (firefox -p) did work, both on windows and linux. The two profiles were identical about two years ago when I copied the profile from one to the other machine. Network problems can be excluded since I tried from completely different networks and the page load, i.e. the address is resolved. However, the gets stuck when I try searching. The blue search bottom shows "LOADING" instead of "SEARCH". Maybe a js problem. I will now try to figure out what in the profile causes the problem even in safe-mode with all plugins/add-ons disabled.
You can check for problems with preferences and rename or delete the prefs.js file and possible numbered prefs-##.js files and a possible user.js file to reset all prefs to the default value.
Reload web page(s) and bypass the cache to refresh possibly outdated or corrupted files.
Clear the cache and the cookies from websites that cause problems.
"Clear the Cache":
"Remove Cookies" from sites causing problems: