Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

clipboard access

SOLVED
Highlighted
New User

clipboard access

Hi folks,

Im thinking of switching browsers from IE10 to firefox. In IE10 I could control programmatic clipboard access by disabling it, and therefore stop websites from capturing any text/data I have stored in the local clipboard.

What does firefox do to stop this exploit? I am checking security functions of browsers before I switch.

Many thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
New User

Re: clipboard access

Can you guys name some legitimate reasons that a website might need dom.event.clipboardevents.enabled to be set to true? I mean, something that would actually affect functionality?

(No, stopping me from using copy/paste or, worse, putting ads in my clipboard do not count as legitimate, functional uses.)

15 REPLIES
Site Moderator

hello, firefox will block access to the clipboard by default: http://kb.mozillazine.org/Granting_JavaScript_access_to_the_clipboard

New User

That's reassuring to know. Just for clarity, and please forgive my ignorance but I take it Firefox is a Mozilla product, so the link you gave me applies to Firefox.

Many thanks.

Chimp.

Site Moderator

yes, this applies to firefox. mozillazine is a community-run site which has lots of documentation & support ressources about mozilla products...

New User

Thank you kindly for your quick and concise response! ;o)

Site Moderator

Note that you can use keyboard shortcuts if buttons on web pages aren't working, so you usually do not need to make changes and allow clipboard access.

• Copy: Ctrl+C or Ctrl+Insert (Mac: Command + C)
  • Paste: Ctrl+V or Shift+Insert (Mac: Command + V)
  • Cut: Ctrl+X or Shift+Delete (Mac: Command + X)
New User

Many thanks!

SUMO Contributor

You might also be interested in the ability of websites to see and react to your manual clipboard actions (cut, copy, paste). To block sites from being able to see those actions, you can switch a preference.

But first, please note... By changing this setting, you gain in privacy and possibly security, but you sacrifice a bit of functionality on some sites that use these features to improve the behavior of some types of editors. It also breaks some features of Firefox's own Scratchpad developer tool. You have to decide whether this is an acceptable trade-off.

Here's how:

(1) In a new tab, type or paste about:config in the address bar and press Enter. Click the button promising to be careful.

(2) In the search box that appears above the list, type or paste clip and pause while the list is filtered

(3) Double-click dom.event.clipboardevents.enabled to flip the value from true (the default) to false.

More on this preference:

Site Moderator

You can look at this extension to toggle the above mentioned dom.event.clipboardevents.enabled pref:

New User

Guys, you are confusing me now.

As I understand it Firefox by default does not allow *reading* of clipboard data by websites (for security reasons). Are you just telling me about normal copy and paste functions used in the browser?

Many thanks.

Chimp.