cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cannot update FF 3.010; downloaded 3.6: cannot copy to app folder"the operation cannot be completed because you do not have sufficient privileges for some of the itemss

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Contributor

cannot update FF 3.010; downloaded 3.6: cannot copy to app folder"the operation cannot be completed because you do not have sufficient privileges for some of the itemss

I have had FF 3.0.10 for a couple yrs. My preferences are set to automatically check for updates, my for some reason, this has apparently never worked. I am the administrator for my Mac and have read/write permissions. The manual "check for update "under the help menu is disabled and will not work. I have tried resetting the permissions , quitting and restarting numerous times. At one point the "check for updates" window appeared to be enabled, but froze once it started downloading and reverted to gray again. I tried to download 3.6 from your website, but when I try to drag FF into the app folder, I receive a message that says "the operation cannot be completed because you do not have sufficient privileges for some of the items". I noticed thru all of this that my download folder is now gone from the dock on my screen

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Site Moderator

Re: cannot update FF 3.010; downloaded 3.6: cannot copy to app folder"the operation cannot be completed because you do not have sufficient privileges for some of the itemss

• Download a new copy of the Firefox program: http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/all.html
  • Trash the current Firefox application to do a clean (re)install.
  • Install the new version that you have downloaded.

Your profile data is stored elsewhere in the Firefox Profile Folder, so you won't lose your bookmarks and other personal data.

2 REPLIES
Site Moderator

Re: cannot update FF 3.010; downloaded 3.6: cannot copy to app folder"the operation cannot be completed because you do not have sufficient privileges for some of the itemss

• Download a new copy of the Firefox program: http://www.mozilla.com/firefox/all.html
  • Trash the current Firefox application to do a clean (re)install.
  • Install the new version that you have downloaded.

Your profile data is stored elsewhere in the Firefox Profile Folder, so you won't lose your bookmarks and other personal data.

New Contributor

Thank you!