Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

automatic update not working in windows 8

SOLVED
Highlighted
New User

automatic update not working in windows 8

Since I upgraded to Windows 8 (and almost immediately installed Firefox), Firefox has not auto-updated as it is supposed to. When I see that a new version is out and I check my version, it says that there is a new version available at your site (either mozilla.org or firefox.com, I can't remember) and then I have to manually update.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
New User

Re: automatic update not working in windows 8

I think it has to do with administrator permissions. I opened Firefox as an administrator, entered my credentials, and it updated as expected.

Instead of having to close/reopen as an administrator, is there a way to configure Firefox to request elevation (like other programs do when updating)?

Full disclosure, I did not try the other solutions, but opening as administrator seems to do trick.

Thanks for the feedback.

13 REPLIES
SUMO Contributor

What setting do you have here:

orange Firefox button or classic Tools menu > Options > Advanced > Update

By the way, there usually is a pause a day or two after a new release to monitor for major problems before notifying all browsers that an update is available.

New User

I have the orange Firefox button.

Yeah, although I like to get the latest version, I've noticed a delay on my other computers. I gave my Windows 8 computer a solid week or two with 18.0.2 and it still said I needed to update manually from the website.

Also, I check update status by: orange firefox button > help > about firefox

SUMO Contributor

I just read that due to a high number of crashes in the past 24 hours, Firefox 19 is not recommended for Windows 8 users at this time. It's good to hear that not everyone is affected by whatever the problem is.

Site Moderator

It is a problem with some AMD Radeon graphic display cards.
If you have such a card and use Windows 8 then it is best not to update.

• bug 830531 - [Win8] crash in XPC_WN_Helper_NewResolve mainly with AMD Radeon HD 6290/6310/6320/7290/7310/7340

(please do not comment in bug reports: https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/page.cgi?id=etiquette.html)

New User

On my both computers (Windows 7, Window 8), the automatic update does not work at all, although it is activated. All I get in the Firefox info box is that an update is available, with a link that I have to follow to download the installation file and install it manually. No difference even if I wait for weeks. The problem persists since version 3.6.16 (the last update in the chronicle). Note that the automatic update performs well in the Windows XP mode of my Windows 7 system !

2013-08-13-03-26-20-8a3f4c.png 2013-08-13-03-27-56-e7425b.png
SUMO Contributor

Hello Dubas, any luck if you reset the Software Update feature by closing your Mozilla application and deleting the "updates" folder and the two files "active-update.xml" and "updates.xml" ?

see for more info : Software Update not working properly

see also, Show hidden files and folders - Windows

thank you

New User

I think it has to do with administrator permissions. I opened Firefox as an administrator, entered my credentials, and it updated as expected.

Instead of having to close/reopen as an administrator, is there a way to configure Firefox to request elevation (like other programs do when updating)?

Full disclosure, I did not try the other solutions, but opening as administrator seems to do trick.

Thanks for the feedback.

Site Moderator

Do you have the Mozilla maintenance service installed?

That program should ask for elevated permission one and download and install updates in the background.

• maintenanceservice.exe
  • maintenanceservice_installer.exe
New User

Meanwhile I updated Firefox manually to 23. But I have the same update problem with Thunderbird and deleting all Firefox and Thunderbird updates folders, active-update.xml and updates.xml (from all users' profiles) unfortunately did not help.