Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

arccosine.com has taken control of firefox

SOLVED
Highlighted
New User

arccosine.com has taken control of firefox

I use firefox and internet explorer. Both have been taken control by arccosine.com

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: arccosine.com has taken control of firefox

Your Anti-Virus Software may be blocking this , or further your 'hosts' may have been hijacked, as this should be viewed with a dose of skepticism.

19 REPLIES
Support Forum Moderator

Please explain what you mean by "control".

That website is used for searches, instead of using Google?
If so, which of the three sections of Firefox is that search engine being used?
Or all three sections?

• Location Bar - where you type web addresses
  • Search Bar - to the right of the Location Bar
  • Search Container on the default Firefox 4+ homepage - about:home
New User

Changed the look of the browsers, including tool bars and the task bar. No task bar in firefox

New User

I deleted the home icon from the navigation bar and changed my default search engine from arccosine. It seems arccosine is part of the search engines that are there as choices in the default searchbar. Why arccosine was chosen is anyone's guess but Firefox should have informed the users about this.

New User

Please explain how you changed the default search engine. I cannot find any way of doing it despite spending too much time in the help section.

Is the ARCCOSINE software safe to use for searches?

New User

I cant vouch for the validity of Arccosine.com but from what I can tell it is just some random website that tries to imitate google.com's homepage. It hijacked my entire browser including the Homepage, search engine, and keyword.URL entry. I dont know to what extent this damage is, but I got rid of most of it by immediately going into my firefox sync settings and replacing all current data with server data.

I got this by searching for a way to download books from Google Books. Likely culprits are Google Book Downloader or GooReader. I think Gooreader is the most likely suspect because after installation there was no option anywhere to uninstall it. By chance I attempted reinstalling it and that allowed me to uninstall. Furthermore, the GooReader software claims to be free but every feature is locked down unless you buy it.

New User

i guess the problem kenb posted here is about the change of default search engine, i changed back to google, and here is how it could be done 1. open a new address bar and type in about:config 2. type in keyword.URL 3. change the search engine url to http://www.google.com/search?ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&sourceid=navclient&gfns=1&q= done

New User

The culprit is Google Books Downloader. I just installed it and started having the arccosine problem immediately after that. I then scanned my pc with Antimalware but nothing came up, so it looks like i have to change my browsersettings back manually. Also Chrome seems to be unaffected, just Firefox an IE.

New User

• type in about:config and search for: arccosine.com
  • replace all instances of arccosine.com with your preferred domain, i.e. browser.startup.homepage = http://google.com, keyword.URL = http://www.google.com/search?q=
  • change the default search engine, by clicking on a field icon, on the right side of the toolbar, and selecting another search engine (see attached image). You can remove arccosine.com completely by clicking on the field icon, Manage Search Engines and removing it from the list.
2011-10-20-18-28-56-3d801a.jpg
New User

type about:config change keyword.URL=http://www.google.co.ve/search?q works with me!!! regards!!!