Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

all my favorites won't transfer over from internet explorer

SOLVED
Highlighted
New User

all my favorites won't transfer over from internet explorer

When I transfer over my favorites from Internet Explorer, not all of the favorites transfer over. Is there a limit on the number that can be moved over to Firefox? I see all my favorites in the My Favorites file, and on favorites when I open IE, but only half of them transfer over. Is there a cause for this? It is the same on both my machines using Vista and 7. Thank you. Ron

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Support Forum Moderator

Re: all my favorites won't transfer over from internet explorer

Something changed in Win 7 a few months ago.

In IE:
File > Import/Export - Export to HTML file

then in Firefox:
Bookmarks > Organize Bookmarks -> Import & Backup - Import HTML... = From HTML file

18 REPLIES
Support Forum Moderator

Something changed in Win 7 a few months ago.

In IE:
File > Import/Export - Export to HTML file

then in Firefox:
Bookmarks > Organize Bookmarks -> Import & Backup - Import HTML... = From HTML file

New User

I'm lost! I opened IE and went to tools, file, but didn't see anything about import/export. Where is it? Thanks!

Site Moderator

In IE you need to go to the File menu to Export the IE favorites as posted above and not the Tools menu.

In IE:

• File > Import/Export - Export to HTML file

In Firefox you can find the Import menu entry in the Bookmarks Manager (Library)

New User

Well.......found all the stuff in Firefox........but I'll be damned if I can find "file" anywhere in IE. WHERE is the file menu?????? Thanks

Site Moderator

If there aren't any menus visible in IE then try to hold down the alt key or right-click the top bar to see if that shows a menu bar or a drop down menu list.
I'm on Linux and don't know the specific details.

New User

In order to see the menu bar in IE, right click on the toolbar at the top of the page and you will see a selection of toolbars to choose from. Tick the box next to 'Menu Bar' and you will then see the menu bar. File, on the menu bar, is at the left hand side. If you click on it, you can scro;; down to 'import and export'. Follow the on screen instructions and save your favourites to an htm file. It is easy enough to import your favoutites from the saved htm file.

It does work. I've just done it.

Thanks to the-edmeister

John C

New User

Hi, I've just switched over to Firefox (was IE but XP is 2002 and cannot update) but am having the same problem not being able to transfer all my bookmarks. Sadly 'exporting' from IE and importing the htm has not solved the problem. Rather than a certain no. of bookmarks (folders or not) in alphabetical order, I now only have only folders, and still only some of them, starting with A down to about L; the same ones I had before.

I'd tried putting the single bookmarks into a folder in the imported folder in Firefox in case that made things starting with M etc appear at the bottom of the list but sadly that didn't happen. Smiley Sad I know my favourites are more than 1MB and fear it is something to do with size/organisation of information in part of the transfer mechanism that just lops the info off at a certain point? It reminds me of trying to transfer folders containing lots of files onto USB drives - if there's not double the folder size available it sometimes claims there's not enough space for any of it.
    This is very frustrating because in other ways I'm  very happy with this new browser.
  Please does anyone have any more ideas how to solve this?
Site Moderator

Do you see them all if you open the HTML file in Firefox via Firefox > New File or File > Open File ?

New User

How to place all the favorites in the bookmark.htm created by exporting from IE into a folder in FF called Internet Explorer?

Pl note that importing from IE via History>Library>Import & Backup in FF does not import all the favorites.