cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ako army security

Highlighted
New User

ako army security

i've tried following AKO's advise, previously post on this site (http://militarycac.com/dodcerts.htm,) etc...

please help me install all needed certs, so this message stops appearing:

"Secure Connection Failed

An error occurred during a connection to akocert.us.army.mil.

SSL peer cannot verify your certificate.

(Error code: ssl_error_bad_cert_alert)

The page you are trying to view can not be shown because the authenticity of the received data could not be verified.

Please contact the website owners to inform them of this problem. Alternatively, use the command found in the help menu to report this broken site."
16 REPLIES
Site Moderator

Re: ako army security

Please update to Firefox 19 Update Firefox to the latest version

New User

updated, cleared history, closed, reopened. still no go.

New User

I just found a solution that works to get past this error - and it's simple.

I copied/pasted the address of the site I was trying to connect to (i.e. the short string separated with periods - dtms.army.mil - for instance) into a Google search field. Then I clicked on the website it's trying to connect to (https://dtms.army.mil). (Possibly you could simply type it into your address field with with the "https://" at the beginning; I"m simply giving you how I discovered a solution.)

Attempting to go to that website should give you the same type of error, except that it gives you the option to add an exception. Once you've added an exception, you can go back to AKO and / or refresh the tab you were attempting to access My Training on.

Site Moderator

You should install the DoD certificates in Firefox instead of adding an exception.

New User

I have installed all the certs, as far as I know. You run into a problem accessing the My Training page with Firefox and you have to go around the error to even open the page.

Site Moderator

You can download and save the InstallerRoot 3.16A file under Trust Store Management from this page:

That is a ZIP archive (unclass-installroot_v3-16a.zip) and you can import this file in the Firefox Certificate Manager

• unclass-installroot_v3-16a.zip/InstallRoot_v3.16A/PKCS7/InstallRoot_PKCS7_v3.16A.der.p7b

(you need to extract this p7b file).

If you get an error that the certificate is already installed then remove all install DoD certificates and close and restart Firefox.
You need the set all trust bits for the DoD Root Ca-2 certificate to make it possible to use it as a trusted root certificate.
All other are intermediate certificates and should never have trust bits set.

See the README.txt file in the InstallRoot_v3.16A/PKCS7/ folder for instructions

New User

I just recently retired from my contractor job and since I'm also retired army I'm having to start accessing my AKO account from the house using my username/password. I tested it before turning my CAC in last Friday and work fine from my work computer. Trying today from home on my Linux box is another story. I keep getting

An error occurred during a connection to akocert.us.army.mil.

SSL peer cannot verify your certificate.

(Error code: ssl_error_bad_cert_alert)

I've followed the instructions above and downloaded and installed the certs, still doesn't work. I'm running Firefox 22.0 Any help would be appreciated.

Site Moderator

Is the CAC installed correctly?

• Tools > Options > Advanced : Encryption: Certificates > Security Devices
New User

I'm not using a CAC on my home Linux box. Never have, I'm trying to log in with my username/password