cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

after latest update wmp plugin is missing in add-ons, but is still correct installed. Reinstalling wont work. What can i do?

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Contributor

after latest update wmp plugin is missing in add-ons, but is still correct installed. Reinstalling wont work. What can i do?

I was lissening to online radio. Firefox needed to update. After the latest update the windows media player plugin dissapeared from the add-on list, while still being installed correct. I reinstalled it, but that didn't work. I replaced/deleted some files in firefox as suggested for similiar problems, but that didn't work either. Now I can't play wmp files anymore on firefox.

I hope u can help me solve this problem.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Regular Contributor

Re: after latest update wmp plugin is missing in add-ons, but is still correct installed. Reinstalling wont work. What can i do?

Found a solution:

Go into about:config and change plugins.load_appdir_plugins from false to true. Apparently FF21 sets this value to false by default causing it to not detect plug-ins installed in this manner.

46 REPLIES
Site Moderator

Re: after latest update wmp plugin is missing in add-ons, but is still correct installed. Reinstalling wont work. What can i do?

If this issues pertains to an add-on being broken, please contact the developer of the add-on so they can release and update and keep up to date with new releases Firefox has every 6 weeks.

Thanks!

Site Moderator

Try to delete the pluginreg.dat file in the Firefox Profile Folder and maybe addons.sqlite as well to reset the plugin registry databases.

You can use this button to go to the Firefox profile folder:

• Help > Troubleshooting Information > Profile Directory: Show Folder

You can (re)install the new WMP plugin (np-mswmp.dll)

New Contributor

To feer56: Thank u for the advice. The wmp plugin is dated from 2007. I don't think this add-on is broken or not suitable after the latest update, because many users would then post this issue.

To cor-el: Thanks for the answer, however it didn't help. And when I tried to add the plugin manually firefox freezes or says the exe file is corrupted. I am almost sure the file is ok. I downloaded it from multiple sources but firefox refuses them all. I am wondering what could cause this.

Site Moderator

It is possible that anti-virus software is corrupting downloaded files or is otherwise interfering with downloading files.

Try to disable the real-time (live) scanning of files in your anti-virus software temporarily to see if that makes downloading work.

See:

Site Moderator

I may have to disagree, if it is dated back to 2007 then chances are that there may be many issues. We receive reports of addons breaking all the time and so we get reports all the time.

Site Moderator

Please contact the developer for more assistance.

New Contributor

I Think I have solved the problem. I didn't pay much attention to the version number. I Found out that I had Firefox 21. however app.update.channel was set to release. I installed version 20 and wmp plugin is working. I hope it won't update to 21 until it becomes a release version.

feer56 and cor-el; thanks for your help.

Regular Contributor

After upgrading to FF21, the WMP plugin disappears from the addon list, not suitable. Ok until FF20. Please fix this behaviour, otherwise a lot of websites become unuseful. Thanks.

Site Moderator

Try to delete the pluginreg.dat file in the Firefox Profile Folder and maybe addons.sqlite as well to reset the plugin registry databases.

See Re-initializing the plugins database: