Since a couple of days ago I noticed something weird with my start page. Usually I see mozilla related content under the search box, which is gone, while typing something into the search box and pressing the button or enter does nothing. I already tried resetting browser.startup.homepage_override.mstone and deleting the chromeappsstore.sqlite with no effect. I would like a solution that doesn't involve making a new profile consindering that I don't want to lose all my bookmarks and addons. This is not a major problem for me as I can search from the navigation bar, but I would like to fix it.
Solved! Go to Solution.
If you use the Search Bar, you can clear only Search History by right-clicking in the Search Bar and using Clear Search History menu-item. Not 100% sure if that also clears the "history" in about:home, but please try that first.
If not, you can clear your Form and Search History under Firefox button > History -> Clear Recent History = then make sure that only Form and Search History is check-marked. Otherwise you'll end up deleting all your Recent History. Unfortunately you can't clear Search History alone from there. That I know will clear the accumulated history of searches in the about:home search box.
I did that, nothing changed. I don't see how search history is related to my issue, I think it's a bit more complicated than that. The bottom buttons (downloads, history, etc.) on the about:home work, only the "search" button does nothing. I think there's an issue with maybe the html file or with the java script but I don't know how to troubleshoot those.
Sorry, I misread your problem.
Another user reported that TabMix Plus was causings a similar issue for him; the Search Box was dead.
Any chance you have TabMix Plus installed?
browser.search.defaultenginename: Status - User set / Type - string / Value - Web Search
I noticed that my work pc firefox has the google logo on the left of the search box, while on my personal one that's missing. Maybe an issue with the search engine?
I had reset the value of browser.search.defaultenginename to Google and it's now working. Seems like something changed that value. Thanks for your help Cor-el !!
Type about:config in the location (address) bar and press the "Enter" key to open the about:config page, just like you open a website by typing the URL in the location bar.
In this case you can check the value of the browser.search.defaultenginename pref, but you probably can do this in a much easier way with the SearchReset extension.
You can use the SearchReset extension to reset some preferences to the default values.
Note that the SearchReset extension only runs once and then uninstalls automatically, so it won't show on the "Firefox > Add-ons" page (about:addons).