Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Youtube reply button in comment section does not work

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Contributor

Youtube reply button in comment section does not work

As of today the "reply" button in the comment section on any youtube video has stopped working, Usually it brings up an input field when clicked, but now I get nothing except a blue glow around the button (cropped picture of what I see)

So far I have attempted the following with no success

• restarting firefox
  • restarting the computer
  • reinstalling latest version of flash

The button works if I access a video page through internet explorer, but I despise that browser.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
New Contributor

Re: Youtube reply button in comment section does not work

Alright, it seems to be fixed.

Steps I took are as follows

• Delete my G+ account (you should be able to do this somewhere at plus.google.com )
  • Once deleted, you should see "+You" in the grey bar at the top when you are on google websites instead of "+<your name>
  • Sign out and back into youtube.

I hope anyone else with the same issue finds this useful.

26 REPLIES
Expert Contributor

Hi,

You can try a Ctrl + F5 refresh of the page. This helps to bring in the contents afresh. If the problem persists, please check if this happens in Safe Mode. Safe mode disables the installed Extensions, and themes (Appearance) in Tools (Alt + T) > Add-ons. Hardware acceleration is also temporarily disabled - the manual setting is Tools > Options > Advanced > General > Use hardware acceleration when available. All these settings/options/add-ons can also be individually or collectively disabled/enabled/changed in Firefox normal mode to check if an extension, theme, option or hardware acceleration is causing issues. Disabling/enabling hardware acceleration, and some types of add-ons in normal mode may require a Firefox restart.

Uninstalling Add-ons

Uninstalling Toolbars

Troubleshooting Extensions and Themes

Problematic Extensions

Options

New Contributor

Refreshing with ctrl+F5 does not fix my problem Running safe mode does not fix my problem

Expert Contributor

You can try to disable Flash acceleration by right-clicking on a video and refresh the page. You can also try to temporarily access problematic sites inside Firefox using IE Tab + or IE Tab. Alternatively you can Disable Flash in Tools (Alt + T) > Add-ons > Plugins and try to access the HTML5 video. If the video doesn't have embedded ads then most likely there will be a webm HTML5 video version.

New Contributor

The videos works like they used to, I have no problems seeing the video or using any buttons or features in the video window (like volume, pause/play etc.)

The problem I'm having is with the comment section of youtube, I am unable to use the "reply" button in firefox, I tried the IE tab + addon you suggested, but it doesn't fix my issue (in fact it breaks the video because it doesn't seem to work with flash, but I don't plan on using this addon anyway, so that doesn't matter)

New Contributor

The IE Tab problem with flash I seem to have fixed by reinstalling flash through IE, but regardless, my original problem still remains.

Expert Contributor

It seems to be okay here on Firefox, the hidden comment reply box opens and closes normally when clicked on Reply. Is it still working in Internet Explorer??

New Contributor

Yes, it works in Internet explorer still.

However, I tried in Google Chrome and it seems to not work there either with the exact same problem occurring. so I'm going to try youtube support since it seems to be cross-browser.

Thanks for trying anyway.

Expert Contributor

No problem Smiley Happy If a solution is found you can post it here and mark it which could help a lot of users in a similar situation.

New Contributor

It's definitely not a browser issue, seems to be account based. I asked the same question on the youtube help forums if anyone else is looking for a solution to the same problem.( http://productforums.google.com/forum/#!category-topic/youtube/how-to-use-youtube-features/saaXgob53... )

Although nothing has been fixed yet Smiley Sad