cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

YouTube videos don't play

Highlighted
New Contributor

YouTube videos don't play

YouTube video do not start playing. Loading circle just stop and nothing happens. Everything's Ok in other browsers. Did resetting Firefox, deleting and reinstaling it and Flash plugin with zero result.

18 REPLIES
Legendary Contributor

Re: YouTube videos don't play

Check your plugins are uptodate!

Type about:addons in URL and Goto Plugins

• Check all the plugins are "Always Active"

Somewhere on the page right click, go to view page info > permissions and make sure that adobe flash content is allowed to play on that domain.

Site Moderator

Clear the cache and cookies only from websites that cause problems.

"Clear the Cache":

• Firefox/Tools > Options > Advanced > Network > Cached Web Content: "Clear Now"

"Remove Cookies" from sites causing problems:

• Firefox/Tools > Options > Privacy > Cookies: "Show Cookies"
New Contributor

Thank you but I tried all above with no success. Smiley Sad Problem not only in YouTube but generally with flash videos. Flash plugin is up to date. I'm scratching my head... Here is screen how it looks on YouTube.

2013-10-22-05-01-02-70297d.png
New Contributor

A workaround for this issue is to install IE Tab

Right click on the video and choose the option to "view the page in IE Tab".

New Contributor

Heh, I always encourage users to use Firefox instead of other browsers telling it's the best and installing them on their systems by default. Of cause I can install Chrome or use IE (or IE tab in Firefox) but imagine how stupid I'll look then Smiley Happy

New Contributor

If it works then use it otherwise you'll simply be cutting off your nose to spite your face.

I expect more of these conflicts to appear in time. Flash, different makes of browser, Google, Yahoo, Microsoft, Norton and all the other suppliers of software won't be able to sync everything all the time. For some it is a policy to make money.

We users are the ones who are confronted with the problems.

New Contributor

And I expect Flash technologies will be superseeded in near future by something less bugged since Adobe products like Flash or Reader are one of the most insecure apps. I confronted problems with Flash in the past and solved them by using some methods above (like clearing cache/cookies) but this time I guess it's no use trying to jump off the pants forcing Firefox work with Flash. -_-

New Contributor

Hello all.

Today I found a solution to the problem of being unable to play YouTube videos at the YouTube website - although they would play on someone else's website - that had dogged me for several weeks. I discovered the solution whilst writing up a contribution for another FF thread ( https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/967209?page=2).

To cut a long story short, I found a live version of Clapton's 'Layla' on YouTube that like everything else had refused to play for several weeks and typed https:// in front of the video address in the address bar and went to that page; the video not only played on the YouTube website, but the playback was really good (I use a dongle and video often lags behind audio, but not now). Worked in Chrome too with which I had experienced the identical problem in the same period (video freezing up after 28s and the video screen turning green).

Site Moderator

The video area turning green in likely on overlay issue where you get the green background once the plugin is no longer overlaying this part of the screen.

This would look like an issue with your security software that can no longer interfere if you switch to a secure connection.