cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Yahoo has hijacked for firefox 5 search engine, How can I fix this ?

Highlighted
New User

Yahoo has hijacked for firefox 5 search engine, How can I fix this ?

when I search with Firefox 5, the results come from Yahoo. I have run fully updated Malwarebytes and Avira antivirus programs, did not resolve. Deleted all files on the C: drive related to Yahoo. Uninstalled Firefox, then reinstalled, did not fix !!! HELP ! I hate Yahoo !

22 REPLIES
Site Moderator

Re: Yahoo has hijacked for firefox 5 search engine, How can I fix this ?

Sorry to get techie, but there are two bars on firefox that do not serve beer, there is the search bar and the location bar. Which bar is affected ? - this could be important.

Sometimes this sort of problem is caused by some plugin software, the name of which may bear no resemblance to Yahoo.

Have a look at

Also

• Are searches on the location bar and search bar both affected ?
  • Exactly which searches are a problem ?
New User

Sorry to get techie but there can be many bars within Firefox depending on what all is installed. There are many TOOLBARS but there is ONLY ONE SEARCH BAR.

Maybe you know of more then one way to use or do searches via Yahoo but the the Search Providers are ONLY in ONE place & there are more then one. Google was the Default before 5.0's one of many bugs.

It doesn't matter whether you delete a Search Provider, Change the Order of them or Anything ELSE!!!

That Home Page is being changed too.

Supposedly this was going to be more stable then 4.0 but it crashes even more then 4 was. The only time I saw Firefox stay stable was by keeping my PC under 3.0 GHz.

Site Moderator

Taz_man, maybe it would help if you start your own thread about your own problem, and provide the sort of information that I asked above, it should help anyone who is trying to give you an answer.

New User

well, I wonder if Mozilla has sold their soul to yahoo? with the upgrade to 5.0, when I type a word into the LOCATION BAR (not the search bar), by default the search turns to yahoo. I've attempted to find a way to change the default and can't find it. With older versions, I could type a word into any of the URL bars and the default search went to google, but of course google has chrome so is Mozilla playing politics? that there appreas to be no way yo change default has me concerned. I'm about ready to run to Chrome and (aghast) turn to Window's Explorer. The beauty of Firefox was it's customization - I'm seeing less and less of that . . .

Site Moderator

Cardcreek,
I suspect you have fallen prey to either malware, or something you inadvertently installed. See the link in my post above, & if you continue to have problems I suggest you start your own thread.

New User

No John99, it's a Firefox thing. I had firefox installed, then got the suggestion to upgrade. IMMEDIATELY when 6.0 started, I got the google search page, entered a search criteria, clicked the magnifying glass button to search and there I was with Yahoo search results. I copied my profile folder to another drive, deleted all of my Mozilla firefox folders, and did a reinstall to 4.0 and the problem was fixed. Mozilla has built in the yahoo hijack into 5 and 6. I thought it was just 6, but it looks like 5 too. If you can't come up with a solution and don't know what you are talking about, you should keep your comments to yourself, especially if you are going to reply with a condescending, swarmy tone like you did.

Site Moderator

Redraider89,
I repeat that Yahoo is not a default Firefox feature as the main search engine from the location bar (assuming you have a standard Firefox install from Mozilla).

Feel free to continue posting comments where you like, but you will be much more likely to get a constructive answer if you start your own thread and give full details of your own problem.

All of my Firefox installs have the option to use Yahoo search, but are currently using Google.

New User

I do not believe this is built into firefox,??? i have had firefox for a long time and now have 5.0 and this never happened before.However i installed gimp the other day and gotten hit with some various other things that installed as well that i did not want. it was my fault fro not paying attention.. But ever since i installed gimp with the other things that installed with it from the site i got it from.. this is when all the problems started.. I am not convinced this is even a legit yahoo browser/search thing.. i think it's fake and is adware/malware??? i have uninstalled all my yahoo related programs,ran scans removed all the other things that came with my gimp the other day, but this yahoo garbage is still there.. before this problem when i opened a tab, it was just a blank page.. now it is going to this yahoo thing and i do not think it's a real yahoo..plus when i do do a search with it, almost every page my virus protection is going off, so i am trying to track the file down this way to.

because when i open a tab this is the link that comes up. http://search.yahoo.com/?fr=freeze&type

if it was real yahoo default browse it should only come up as this. http://search.yahoo.com/

So my guess is there is a corrupt host/or other sort of file somewhere that has to be removed in order to get rid of this.. where.. who knows may be somewhere in system 32 files,app data.. And that is only if i am correct? it seems no one really knows much about this yet.. i have searched many places and all answers so far are leading to no solution's.. So i can only hope to get rid of this or will have to stop using firefox and uninstall it all together.. and that would suck.. but i do not want this crap in my computer.. but it's mess how ever we all got this???

Site Moderator

kirkit,

It is probably worth starting your own thread about the problem you have, you can always add links to or from this thread.

It should be possible to get Firrefox working without additional unwanted search features or toolbars; and it should be possible to restore firefox to its default situation. Depending on what has happened add-ons, plugins, or malware may need to be removed.