cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Won't ask to save my tabs on closing all

Highlighted
New Contributor

Won't ask to save my tabs on closing all

Firefox no longer asks to save tabs before closing firefox. It warns me that it is about to close all tabs but no longer asks to save them.

Mike Kay (aka Elrikk)

18 REPLIES
Shooting Star Contributor

Re: Won't ask to save my tabs on closing all

Are the tabs restored on startup if you quit? If they aren't, it's possible that you are having a problem with some Firefox add-on that is hindering your Firefox's normal behavior. Have you tried disabling all add-ons (just to check), to see if Firefox goes back to normal?

Whenever you have a problem with Firefox, whatever it is, you should make sure it's not caused by one (or more than one) of your installed add-ons, be it an extension, a theme or a plugin. To do that easily and cleanly, run Firefox in safe mode (don't forget to select Disable all add-ons when you start safe mode). If the problem disappears, you know it's from an add-on. Disable them all in normal mode, and enable them one at a time until you find the source of the problem. See this article for information about troubleshooting extensions and themes and this one for plugins.

If you need support for one of your add-ons, you'll have to contact its author.

If the problem does not disappear when all add-ons are disabled, please tell me, so we can work from there. Please have no fear of following my instructions to the line, as all can be easily undone.

If tabs are restored when you start again, even though you didn't click a Save and Quit button, then I think it's a setting on the options screen. Go into Tools > Options > Tabs and tick Warn me when closing multiple tabs.

Site Moderator

You can reset the warn prefs on the about:config page via the right-click context menu.

To open the about:config page, type about:config in the location (address) bar and press the "Enter" key, just like you type the url of a website to open a website.
If you see a warning then you can confirm that you want to access that page.

New Contributor

I've tried the safe-mode start, disabling everything except my history, yet still the issue persists. Firefox 3.6....I click the top-right x to close the browser, no prompt, and when I restart, no saved tabs.

Further assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Site Moderator

If you use Delete browsing, search and download history on Firefox in Firefox 3.5 and later to clear the 'Browsing History' when you close Firefox then restoring tabs from the last session ("Save & Quit" or "Show my windows and tabs from last time") doesn't work.

New Contributor

I also verified the about:config sections posted by cor-el, with zero success. Each one was already set to the default value. I toggled each one and toggled it back, hoping this might set a flag correctly, but that tactic also failed to yeild results. Any other ideas appreciated, otherwise I'll be removing firefox and hoping for the best after a reinstall.

New Contributor

Ah, that was it! Thanks cor-el!

New Contributor

My browser.showQuitWarning setting was set to False. I set it to True while ensuring that browser.warnOnQuit was still True. Now I am prompted to save my tabs when I exit.

Also, if you don't Save your session when you exit, you should still be able to restore it next time you start Firefox by clicking History > Restore Previous Session.

Source

New Contributor

Thanks ferikfox, as I understood your post more clearly, and your first fix worked (my QuitWarning was set on False). Your second idea is also a good reminder of the History/Restore option.  :-)

New Contributor

Ive checked all the ABOUT items....all are set as you state. Still nothing works. Was just reading web, and tried to close like usual...now it wont save my tabs. Did nothing. Have you screwed it up by deleting this option.....put i back if so.