Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wish to change default language

SOLVED
Highlighted
New User

Wish to change default language

I want English as default language (FireFox for Mac) Preferences / Content / Choose a language It is set to English Yet on Googling it appears to be Polish

How do I change that ?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
SUMO Contributor

Re: Wish to change default language

I found that links by clicking the gear icon on a results page, then Search Settings, then in the left navigation column, Languages. Probably better to bookmark the link.

28 REPLIES
Site Moderator

You can check the order of the installed Languages.

• Firefox > Preferences > Content > Languages

Clear the cache and the cookies from sites that cause problems.

"Clear the Cache":

• Firefox > Preferences > Advanced > Network > Cached Web Content: "Clear Now"

"Remove Cookies" from sites causing problems:

• Firefox > Preferences > Privacy > Cookies: "Show Cookies"
New User

You said Preferences > Advanced > Network > Cached Web Content: "Clear Now" I did that at it says: "cache is currently using 90 kB" Why not 0 kB ? Then you said: Preferences > Privacy > Cookies: "Show Cookies" But I have no Show Cookies Instead there I see: Remove Individual Cookies Which I did. I removed all Cookies and now the language is Swedish. Why Swedish ? I have no idea. I am stationed in Sweden. I use FF v 18.0.2

Site Moderator

Some sites automatically redirect you to a site in the local language, based on where your IP locates you.

There is usually a link on such websites choose a language or go to an international version that allows to choose the language.
Such a choice is stored in a cookie on your computer, so you need to keep (allow) this Google cookie. .... If the Google page is in the wrong language then see:

New User

Again Polish (when searching on Google) . Cant get rid of it

New User

As said - the problem is not solved

New User

My problem is reverse: I live in Switzerland and my new Firefox speaks English instead of German!!

How can we change the deafult language?

New User

This problem is not possible to solve unless you reformat and reiinstall your computer alltogher, which of course is not worth the time and effort. It has somethiing to do with Firefox or Google, I don't understand why it should be so difficult

SUMO Contributor

By default, Google sniffs your internet connection and redirects to a localized version. The URL to override this if you always want google.com is:

https://www.google.com/ncr

Presumably this generates a special cookie and only lasts as long as you keep cookies.

If you prefer to always use a different country site, you might want to get a search engine plugin specific to that site. Possibly available on the following site or someone could create one just for you.

http://mycroftproject.com/google-search-plugins.html

SUMO Contributor

Hi hegi108, if you mean the language throughout the browser is not German, you may need to reinstall Firefox using the German-language installer. I suggest making a backup of your personal settings folder first.