Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why won't Links open from e-mail if Firefox is default browser

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Contributor

Why won't Links open from e-mail if Firefox is default browser

I still have this problem and now it is starting to affect the browsers functionality and useability. When Firefox is my default browser any link outside of Firefox (like in my e-mail) won't open which is becoming a nuisance. I am running Windows 7 which may be the cause of the problem via a setting but I can't locate the needle in the haystack or it may have happened at a Firefox update. Firefox has been my favorite and only browser since Netscape 1.0 but if I can't resolve this problem I will have to switch to another which I really don't want to do. Help!!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
New Contributor

Re: Why won't Links open from e-mail if Firefox is default browser

Tip: If you feel adventurous, try downloading FireFox 13.0.1 from:

ftp://ftp.osuosl.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/13.0.1/win32/en-US/

This site is an official Mozilla Mirror, and has the GpG signature file in the folder with the executable.

I had to revert to 13.0.1 to get my links to open correctly.

24 REPLIES
Legendary Contributor

Do you get an error dialog, such as "Locate Link Browser" or "General Failure"? The causes and solutions are described in this article: Windows error opening Internet shortcut or local HTML file - Firefox - MozillaZine Knowledge Base.

Does it make any difference whether Firefox is already running? Usually that helps.

Do you start up to the Profile Manager and choose a profile manually? Shortcuts and external links generally do not work in that scenario (unless something has changed recently).

New Contributor

No I don't get an error dialog but When I click on the link the border ot the e-mail highlites for just a second.

I have tried it both ways but usually I have Firefox running in the task bar.

I'm not familiar with the profile manager or quite understand your question but when I start Firefox I just double click the desktop icon.

Thanks for your response jscher2000

Site Moderator

Does it make a difference whether Firefox is currently running (i.e. a browser window is open) or Firefox is closed and doesn't show in the Task Manager?

You can try to redo the default browser and temporarily make another browser like IE the default browser.

New Contributor

cor-el

No, I have tried those those things and it doesn't matter whether Firefox is open or not links still will not open Firefox when it is my default browser. Actually IE is my default browser at the moment so I can open links in e-mails, etc.

Thanks for responding.

New Contributor

This quick registry edit fixed it for me.

(Note: These instructions apply to Windows Vista and 7 only.)

1. Click Start, type regedit, and then press Enter.

2. Navigate to the following entry: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\FirefoxURL\shell\open\ddeexec

3. In the center pane, double-click the Default entry, then remove whatever value is there (it'll probably be a weird string of numbers and commas).

4. Click OK, then exit Regedit.

5. If Outlook and/or Firefox are open, close them, then restart them.

New Contributor

I want to thank you all for your responses and help with my problem. Eureka! I have found the answer (mostly by accident, I might add). It has to do with protocols in Windows 7, something different from XP. In order to open links in e-mails, etc., when Firefox or browsers other than the default browser, Internet Explorer (thanks Bil Gates), you must, in addition to selecting Firefox as your default browser, also change your Windows 7 'program protocols'. This is accomplished by going to "Control Panel", select "Programs", select "Default Programs" and select "Associate a file type or protocol with a specific program". When the list of file extensions appears scroll to the end of the list to "Protocols" and change the FTP, HTTP and HTTPS protocols from Internet Explorer to Firefox or what ever browser you are using or want. You may also change the default programs for the other protocols also if you want. I hope this puts this issue to bed for good. Thanks again, koehlerle

Legendary Contributor

Thanks for posting that. Firefox is supposed to take care of that for you when you make it the default browser, so I'm sorry to hear it didn't work for you. Perhaps it's a permission-related problem?

New Contributor

I have the latest version of Firefox and use Windows 7 (64 bit). I have tried every solution suggested on this page, and none of them has worked. I have very reluctantly abandoned Firefox after many years of use.

Legendary Contributor

Hi dokeckip, I also use Win7x64. I am able to launch links from Microsoft Outlook, Microsoft Excel, Adobe Reader, and various other programs in Firefox 13 -- it can be achieved! However, if you've reached the end of your troubleshooting rope and prefer to make a different browser your default, of course you can still use Firefox for regular browsing through its program icon. If you want to explore other suggestions, please post back.