Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why is firefox running so slow lately?

SOLVED
Highlighted
New User

Why is firefox running so slow lately?

For the past month, maybe longer, Firefox has been extremely slow. The videos are also delayed. I have used firefox for many years and now I am disappointed with this browser. I cleared the cache and cookies, twice within a week. No improvement. I've been using Safari for my videos, but all my bookmarks are on firefox. How can we fix this problem? Whats going on ??

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Shooting Star

Re: Why is firefox running so slow lately?

Hi mariebm56,

Sounds like an irritating issue! Not to worry, we've got you covered. Have you looked at our performance troubleshooting section? There is a lot of good information in there that should help. It could be any number of things that are causing the slowness and clearing the cache is really just the tip of the iceberg for troubleshooting. I'd suggest that you try all the steps listed in those troubleshooting articles just to be safe.

Hopefully this helps!

23 REPLIES
Shooting Star

Hi mariebm56,

Sounds like an irritating issue! Not to worry, we've got you covered. Have you looked at our performance troubleshooting section? There is a lot of good information in there that should help. It could be any number of things that are causing the slowness and clearing the cache is really just the tip of the iceberg for troubleshooting. I'd suggest that you try all the steps listed in those troubleshooting articles just to be safe.

Hopefully this helps!

New User

I upgraded the system on my computer, so now I can download certain video upgrades. Seems to be working better now that I updated my computer.  ;-) Thanks~

New User

Internet Explorer works fine, but Firefox is becoming a bigger PITA with every single update. It is constantly crashing Flash content (can't even install Real Player or Flash won't work at all). The latest update has FF running as slow as frozen molasses.

Can't use it at all. It's coming to the point that I'm about ready to uninstall and never use the browser again. It's always updating and breaking things

Mozilla Support Contributor

Hi dnashj33, there are some compatibility issues between the latest Flash player and some Firefox add-ons or settings. Could you see whether anything in this article helps: Flash 11.3 doesn't load video in Firefox.

You might also consider disabling the new protected mode in Flash 11.3, since that feature is currently being debugged. See this support article from Adobe under the heading "Last Resort": Adobe Forums: How do I troubleshoot Flash Player's protected mode for Firefox?

New User

I'm not an IT guy. It's not my role to poke around, wasting hours each time trying to troubleshoot Firefox's issues. They have no business releasing buggy versions. I lost valuable hours the last time trying everything under the sun, and ended up having to COMPLETELY uninstall Real Player from my system. Not good. This is the second major problem I have had with FF in the past few weeks.

I understand security concerns and such, but FF is frequently updating and consequently breaking new things. Don't want to be an Alpha Tester for Mozilla. Just want a browser that works. No more auto updates that trash my whole browsing experience.

New User

I AGREE. I always have problems with FF when there is an upgrade/new version. It's become very frustrating. I am an average user, not a computer tech. I shouldn't have to spend hours trying to figure this out only to have FF update again and then I have to start all over again.

I've been using Safari for the videos.  Usually have both browsers open b/c firefox is not operating like it should be.

Hi dnashj33, we are all at Adobe's mercy on Flash. Blame Firefox if you like, but the solution links are in my post.

Hi mariebm56, sorry your thread got diverted to Windows issues. Have you tried the reset feature? This duplicates certain key data from your active settings folder into a new one, bypassing some add-ons and custom settings. Your plugins will still be active, but could be disabled manually if you like. You get a fresh cache folder.

More information in this article: Refresh Firefox - reset add-ons and settings.

If the new settings folder has the same slowness problem (or whatever new problem you might have), you can switch back if you like using Firefox's Profile Manager.

Does it make any difference?

New User

I just reset, thank you!! Seems like it's working much better, but time will tell. Haven't tried the videos.  ;-) I never knew about the reset feature. ;) Thanks again!

I never knew about the reset feature.

Not your fault, it was just introduced in Firefox 13.