Why is Firefox 3.6.6 so slow?

Highlighted
Grand Master

Why is Firefox 3.6.6 so slow?

Issue

I have another kind of problem with Firefox

Description

Firefox 3.6.6 is running REALLY slow.

Firefox just updated (automatically - I seemed to have no choice) to 3.6.6 on my Mac (OS 10.5.4) and is now running unbearably slow. Every website I try to load shows, at the bottom left "waiting for" (then website name) and loads very slowly, compared to Safari 3.1.2. I tried clearing the cache but that didn't help.

Even when on Firefox's own Mozilla support pages, it loads really slow.

What gives? Why did Firefox automatically update to something worse? Can I go backwards and reload the previous, faster version?

Firefox version

Operating system

Mac OS 10.5.4

Plugins installed

lots

183 REPLIES
Grand Master

Re: Why is Firefox 3.6.6 so slow?

on winXP / SP3, issue is seen most on videos

Grand Master

Too many plugins can cause firefox to slow down. Try removing some.

Grand Master

Using Vista, ever since upgrading to Firefox 3.6.6 my browser is extremely slow. I haven't added any plug ins recently ... the only change is this upgrade.

How do I go back to the old version? Or perhaps I should go to another browser.

Grand Master

I have a mac, and the update completed automatically... and everything is so slow. Has this update worked its way into the operating system?

Grand Master

I have never had to remove plugins in the past. How do I do this?

Under Preferences > Applications - all I can see is "content type" and "action". Under "action" it shows "use" these three, which I can not remove because I need them:

Quicktime 7.6.4, Shockwave Flash, and RealPlayer.

Are other plugins somewhere in my computer?

Grand Master

It's exactly the same for me. The only add-on I have installed myself is AdBlock Plus and I've never had problems with it. It often takes around a full minute to load a webpage, which is the most annoying thing ever. It started since the 3.6.4 update and the 3.6.6 update didn't fix the problem..

Grand Master

Same problem, on Vista.

Grand Master

not a plug-in problem.

Same problem of slow web page load on Win 7. No change in Firefox or plug-ins other than the update.

Grand Master

windows xp, lots of tabs: FF has become very sloppy, and cpu intensive; my laptop's fan is working very hard