cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why has search suddenly started to default to Ask instead of Google and how do I change it back?

Highlighted

Why has search suddenly started to default to Ask instead of Google and how do I change it back?

I'm used to typing search terms in the middle box on the toolbar (the one with the "bookmark" star) and automatically getting to a list generated by Google. Now it's suddenly defaulted to Ask with no reason. Ask is awful. How do I change it back? I've removed Ask from the 'manage search engines' tab in the top right box so I can use that box instead but that's not the way I'm used to doing things and it's changed with no intervention from me! Thanks!

15 REPLIES
Legend

Re: Why has search suddenly started to default to Ask instead of Google and how do I change it back?

-> Search Bar - Removing a Search Engine

-> Restore Default Search Engine (Google)

Type about:config in the Location (address) bar and press the "Enter" key. When you see a warning, click I'll be careful, I promise! button.

• Preferences that have been modified are shown as bold (user set).
  • Preferences can be Reset to the default or changed via the right-click context menu.

-> In the Filter bar, type browser.search.selectedEngine

• right-click the preference browser.search.selectedEngine and choose Reset from the menu.

-> In the Filter bar, type ask.com. This will show the remaining ask.com related preferences.

• right-click all ask.com related Preferences (one by one) and choose Reset from the menu to restore their Default values.

-> Close the about:config tab and then Restart Firefox.

Check and tell if its working.

Re: Why has search suddenly started to default to Ask instead of Google and how do I change it back?

Thanks for quick response. I got stuck at the second bullet - the 'reset' is greyed and won't let me select it. It's currently set as 'default'.

Legend

Close all Firefox Tabs & Windows except about:config tab.

Nope, still grey.

Legend

-> Close Firefox (click Firefox button and click Exit OR File Menu -> Exit)

-> Start Firefox in Safe Mode by holding down SHIFT key while starting Firefox

• As an alternative method, use Win + R key combination and enter one of the following in the Windows Run box:
    • firefox -safe-mode
    • "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe" -safe-mode

-> Firefox Safe Mode window will appear -> DON'T SELECT ANY OPTIONS, just click Continue in Safe Mode

Now perform the steps mentioned in my first reply. Check and tell if its working.

Hi again. It still doesn't work. Here's a screen dump - a bit small but you can see it's still greyed even in safe mode. Sorry...

2011-09-16-07-11-58-b9df7a.jpg
Legend

You are trying to Reset services.sync.prefs.sync.browser.search.selectedEngine. That preference is correct. You are looking for the wrong preference.

You have to Reset browser.search.selectedEngine (the selected Blue preference - attached screenshot)

After this, Continue forward using my first reply. Check and tell if its working.

2011-09-16-07-31-06-2bc7c2.JPG

When I type browser.search.selectedEngine into the filter bar it only comes up with the services.sync.prefs.sync.browser.search.selectedEngine only, nothing else, per my screenshot sent earlier. There's no other options to select when it filters, just that one comes up.

Legend

Does it still not appear when you start Firefox in Safe Mode ??