Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why doesn't my clear history completely clear my history

Highlighted
New Contributor

Why doesn't my clear history completely clear my history

Hi there,

I'm trying to clear all of the browsing history from my Firefox but it's not working. The function clears all of my searches and website preferences and passwords bar one or two websites. I've ticked all of the options for clearing history, apart from 'form and search history' as it won't let me tick this box. I also deleted all of my bookmarks, ran a CC cleaner and STILL there's search history when I start to type into the bar at the top. When I go into my history --> show all history having cleared it, it says that there is nothing there...

For example.. when I start to type P in the bar at the top.. UK Parliament immediately comes up. And my bar at the top of the page isn't one of those where you can just automatically search via Google so I don't think its doing that!...

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling Firefox but even so some websites are STILL there! How can I track these websites down and get rid of them?

Thanks for your help!!

13 REPLIES
Site Moderator

Re: Why doesn't my clear history completely clear my history

The websites that appear in this bar, do they have a star next to them?

New Contributor

No.. Forgot to add that I cleared by bookmarks too..

Site Moderator

The Reset Firefox feature can fix many issues by restoring Firefox to its factory default state while saving your essential information. Note: This will cause you to lose any Extensions, Open websites, and some Preferences.

To Reset Firefox do the following:

1. Go to Firefox > Help > Troubleshooting Information.
  2. Click the "Reset Firefox" button.
  3. Firefox will close and reset. After Firefox is done, it will show a window with the information that is imported. Click Finish.
  4. Firefox will open with all factory defaults applied.

Further information can be found in the Refresh Firefox - reset add-ons and settings article.

Did this fix your problems? Please report back to us!

Thank you.

Site Moderator

New Contributor

No unfortunately they're still there having tried to reset it...!

Site Moderator

Hello,

In order to better assist you with your issue please provide us with a screenshot. If you need help to create a screenshot, please see How do I create a screenshot of my problem?

Once you've done this, attach the saved screenshot file to your forum post by clicking the Browse... button below the Post your reply box. This will help us to visualize the problem.

Thank you!

New Contributor

Here's a screen shot... I typed in 'e' having cleared history again, and now it came up with easyjet.com...

/
2013-07-17-11-27-19-4ea300.png
Site Moderator

Note that a reset tries to import the history and thus a reset may not be suited in case of history problems that you have.
You can either try to delete all places files in the profile folder or create a new profile with the Profile Manager.

New Contributor

Thanks for the suggestion cor-el, but it won't let me delete the places files in the profile folder. It says that it is in use by another program. I access it by going Help --> Troubleshooting Information --> Profile Folder

Is there another way to do it?