cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why does my Firefox not have a Java plug-in?

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Contributor

Why does my Firefox not have a Java plug-in?

My question is similar to "Java Plug-in for JRE7u21?" but all the suggestions there that worked are for Windows, and I'm on a Mac, and I don't want to hijack that thread. For the record, that thread is /questions/958847. aw

I have Mac OS X 10.8.5 Mountain Lion, Firefox 24.0, which says it's up to date, and Java 7 update 45, also up to date. I only want answers for Mac OS X, not Windows, not Linux.

The online Java test works OK in Safari but not in Firefox. Firefox thinks Java is not installed. There's no "Java Applet Plug-in" in the plug-ins list.

Since Safari is OK, I assume there's a bug in Firefox. Can we narrow it down by identifying which combinations of versions (of Mac OS X, Firefox and Java) have the Java plug-in and which don't?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Site Moderator

Re: Why does my Firefox not have a Java plug-in?

P.S. (Long shot) You aren't running Firefox in 32-bit mode, by any chance? That was mentioned in the "Java Plug-in for JRE7u21" thread, /questions/958847?page=2#answer-446868 : Most likely issue is with with the Firefox 32/64 bit selection. Open Firefox info panel (Cmd-I) and deselect "Open in 32-bit mode" tick box. That worked for me!

To confirm that you aren't running Firefox in 32-bit mode, control-click (right-click) the Firefox.app in your Applications folder and select "Get Info" from the list of options. In the "Firefox Info" window, make sure the box in front of "Open in 32-bit mode" is not selected

34 REPLIES
All Star Contributor

Does this issue still occur right now?
The Java was disabled on Firefox for security reasons a couple of days ago.

If you are questioning about the Java Deployment Toolkit, please be advised that this plugin has been disabled for security vulnerabilities.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

New Contributor

Security is a bad answer. Safari allows Java to run if the user allows it. Why can't Firefox do the same? If Firefox has security vulnerabilities that Safari doesn't have, how long will it take to fix them?

What's all this about the Java Deployment Toolkit? I'm talking about the JRE, the Java Runtime Environment. I'm not a developer, I'm not an administrator, I'm a user, and I want to use Firefox. Silly me.

Sorry for the irritation. I'm expletive deleted tired of people telling me what I can and can't do for my own safety.

All Star Contributor

These are not Firefox security vulnerabilities. They are vulnerabilities with the Java program which is in no way related to Mozilla.

The Java Deployment Toolkit will be disabled until Oracle creates an update to repair the security issue(s).

All Star Contributor

We are sorry that you are displeased with Firefox.

Potentially unsafe versions of the Java plugin are "Click to Play" blocked, meaning that you have to click to activate Java for each site. See the How to allow Java on trusted sites article for more information.

Note: To make sure that your Java plugin is working, you can visit the test pages listed in the article, Use the Java plugin to view interactive content on websites. If an "Activate Java" message box appears, click inside the box to activate the Java plugin.

When you see the "Activate Java" message box, simply click it to load the Java content normally.

Fx24-JavaActivate

If there is no visible area to activate Java content in the page, click the red plugin icon in the address bar. In the message panel that opens, choose "Allow Now" to enable Java content temporarily.

Fx24-JavaAllowNow

The next time you visit the site or any other that uses Java you will see this message again.

If you want to always activate Java for a particular site, you can use the "Allow and Remember" option shown above.

After activating Java, you may also see a "Security Warning" dialog box, asking you to confirm that you want to run Java. This warning comes from Java itself, not from Firefox.

Does this solve your problem? Please report back soon.

Site Moderator

You said,

I have Mac OS X 10.8.5 Mountain Lion, Firefox 24.0, which says it's up to date, and Java 7 update 45, also up to date.

The online Java test works OK in Safari but not in Firefox. Firefox thinks Java is not installed. There's no "Java Applet Plug-in" in the plug-ins list.

I don't see the Java plugin in your "More System Details" Installed Plugins list. Open the Firefox Tools -> Add-ons - Plugins list and look for the Java Applet Plugin. If it's set to "Never Activate", use the drop-down menu and select either "Always Activate" or "Ask to Activate", whichever is available.

I don't know what online Java test you used but, to make sure that your Java plugin is working, you can visit the test pages listed in the article, Use the Java plugin to view interactive content on websites.

If "Ask to Activate" is your only option then you will have to click to activate Java for each site for the time being, as explained in the How to allow Java on trusted sites article, even though you have the latest Java 7 U45 installed. See bug 914690 if you're interested in the background.

New Contributor

OK, ComputerWhiz and AliceWyman. You didn't understand the question. You think "Java Applet Plugin" is somewhere in my Plugins list. It isn't. That's what I'm saying. It isn't there at all. I can't activate something that isn't there.

All Star Contributor

Ok.
We are sorry for any inconvenience.

Please download Java on your computer from here.

New Contributor

Again, ComputerWhiz, you didn't read the question. I already downloaded Java from the page you're pointing me to. The Java Control Panel, "Update" tab, says "Your system has the recommended version of Java. / Java 7 Update 45."

Java is installed. Why doesn't my Firefox show the Java plug-in?

All Star Contributor

Sorry again.

Here is a Java documentation of your issue.

You'll need to uninstall Java and reinstall it again.

Sorry for any inconvenience.