cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do certain websites default to bottom of page upon opening?

Highlighted
New User

Why do certain websites default to bottom of page upon opening?

When I am opening up sites like REI.com and mountainhardwear.com the web page defaults to the bottom of the page. It only happens on certain websites. I can open gmail, hotmail, amazon - and it stays at the top of the page.

58 REPLIES
New User

Re: Why do certain websites default to bottom of page upon opening?

(First post!)

The two listed sites don't do that for me, so I don't know. Typically this would be because of a JavaScript file with something like scrollTo( [ something ] ) in it.

Regular User

I have exactly the same problem on some sites, and it also happened on the sites posted above. I think FF 12.0 is now misreading a certain javascript line contained on some sites' code. It's quite annoying, and happending on more and more sites. I thought it was my mouse at first. Someone should file a Bug report....

SUMO Contributor

One thing I noticed about both the REI and MountainHardwear sites is that they display ads from the DoubleClick network. I wonder whether there is a bad ad going around that only rotates in now and then? Could someone test with and without an ad blocker?

Regular User

Happening on many sites, including Classmates.com (Memory Lane). Checked source code and there is no DoubleClick ad on there. (Also blocked by my Hosts file).

SUMO Contributor

It's possible that one of your add-ons isn't fully compatible with Firefox 12. Could you try Firefox's Safe Mode to see whether we can rule that out?

First, I recommend backing up your Firefox settings in case something goes wrong. See Backing up your information. (You can copy your entire Firefox profile folder somewhere outside of the Mozilla folder.)

Next, restart Firefox in Safe Mode using

Help > Restart with Add-ons Disabled

In the Safe Mode dialog, do not check any boxes, just click "Continue in Safe Mode."

If the problem sites loads normally, this points to an add-on or custom setting as the likely problem.

Any new info?

Regular User

SUMO Contributor

So if you disable JavaScript, the sites no longer scroll/leap to the bottom of the page. However, as you point out, that is not a practical solution. Since I visited all the sites with JavaScript enabled and didn't see anything unusual, I think we need to consider other possibilities.

Do you have to be logged in to the site to see the problem?

Regular User

No, and it does not happen on a laptop running FF 11, or on IE 8. Both computers are running Win XP SP3, latest Java, latest FlashPlayer, etc. Only difference is FF version....

Regular User

Tried disabling all plug-ins, no luck. I have "IE Tab 2" which causes the affected page to render correctly. Found earlier version of FF (11.0) but it's just a list of files, and I have no idea how to install it, without screwing up my entire system and all bookmarks, etc etc.

More and more websites are affected. Here's another, very public, one: http://www.landsend.com/