cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do I keep getting this unresponsive script error?

Highlighted
New User

Why do I keep getting this unresponsive script error?

Why do I persistently get this particular script error that makes my browser hang for dozens of minutes?

chrome://global/content/bindings/tabbox.xml:73

It has nothing to do with any of the extensions or plug-ins I have activated. The only ones I ever have activated almost all of the time are Status-4-Evar in the Extensions category, and Adobe Acrobat in terms of Plug-ins. Both of these are up to date. It's also not about hardware acceleration, I don't believe, because I've disabled that feature in my options.

No, the error seems to pop up when I'm dealing with "busy" webpages with a lot of graphics and such. I've tried all of the little tricks they have here in the help, and it's still not stoping the script. I use to get a similar perisistent script error on older versions of Firefox.

A little help, por favor, to solve this once and for all, because I know I'm far from the only one experiencing this.

30 REPLIES

Re: Why do I keep getting this unresponsive script error?

New User

Now, I'm getting this script error:

resource://gre/modules/XPCOMUtils.jsm:329

This is after I uninstalled firefox - deleting the folder - and reinstalling it.

New User

chrome://global/content/bindings/autocomplete.xml:304

I can load large photo posts on webboards and web forums, anymore, since this FireFox upgrade.

New User

Now I'm getting this error:

Script: chrome://global/content/editMenuOverlay.js:16

Site Moderator

Do a clean reinstall and delete the Firefox program folder before (re)installing a fresh copy of the current Firefox release.

Download a fresh Firefox copy and save the file to the desktop.

Uninstall your current Firefox version, if possible, to cleanup the Windows registry and settings in security software.

• Do NOT remove personal data when you uninstall your current Firefox version, because all profile folders will be removed and you lose personal data like bookmarks and passwords from profiles of other Firefox versions.

Remove the Firefox program folder before installing that newly downloaded copy of the Firefox installer.

• (32 bit Windows) "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\"
  • (64 bit Windows) "C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\"

Your bookmarks and other personal data are stored in the Firefox profile folder and won't be affected by an uninstall and (re)install, but make sure that "remove personal data" is NOT selected when you uninstall Firefox.

If you keep having problems then also create a new profile.

New User

I've done the clean reinstall once before, and it didn't change anything. Still, I tried it again to appease you. lol

Nope, still getting errors. As for the new profile thing, I don't really want to start over with all of my bookmarks and such, but even if I did, those links aren't loading for me.

I've never had any version of Firefox give me this many errors.

New User

Script: resource://gre/components/nsPrompter.js:47

Is there anywhere with a list/catalogue of script errors that would perhaps give some specific advice on how to handle them? It's like a new one keeps popping up every day. Forget about trying to download a post on a web forum with a lot of pictures in it. It freezes for minutes on end, and then I get these script errors.

Site Moderator

You can get any script errors if this is happening to you.

The script that is currently active when this error gets triggered can be any script that is part of Firefox.
Only when a specific script really hangs then you will get this error with the same script over and over.
In other cases you will only see the name of a random script.
You shouldn't get such errors under normal conditions though.

Did you try a new profile and a clean reinstall?

See "Creating a profile":

New User

try this:

the problem is the flash player, not firefox. To fix the problem:

1. to go to a website that have a flash video, such as youtube 2. right click on the video then select "global settings", this will open up the flash player setting manager 3. click on the advance tab 4. under "browsing data and settings", click "Delete All".

that is it , u will notice firefox wil run smoothly once again. if after some time firefox slow responding again, just do the same thing to fix it. goodluck!!!