cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why do I have to click everything twice ?

Highlighted
New Contributor

Why do I have to click everything twice ?

When is Firefox going to fix this?

In every version after 3.6, I have had to click twice or "reload" the page. If I close the page and click again or reload the page, it immediately comes up.

It is not because of problems in my computer. I went into safe mode and disabled all add-ons and got the same result. It happens on 80-90% of the websites. There are a few sites that consistently load immediately but most I have to reload the page or wait for the page to load which can easily take 30 seconds to a minute.

I have a fast download of 28 and upload of 6. I have a clean computer, plenty of ram memory and have limited programs allowed to activate on start up. I usually have very few tabs open at a time. I've cleared cache and done all the usual things always recommended to do.

This is very frustrating and it has to have something to do with bugs in changes of versions since 3.6. That version worked perfectly. These latest versions up to the most recent update have been consistently more and more problems.

17 REPLIES
Legendary Contributor

Re: Why do I have to click everything twice ?

What do you get on the first click: server not found?

You might have tried this, but if not, a standard diagnostic to bypass interference by extensions (and some custom settings) is to try Firefox's Safe Mode.

First, I recommend backing up your Firefox settings in case something goes wrong. See Back up and restore information in Firefox profiles. (You can copy your entire Firefox profile folder somewhere outside of the Mozilla folder.)

Next, restart Firefox in Firefox's Safe Mode (Troubleshoot Firefox issues using Safe Mode) using

Help > Restart with Add-ons Disabled

In the dialog, click "Start in Safe Mode."

If pages load correctly on the first try, this points to one of your extensions or custom settings as the problem.

To further disable add-ons, you can try here:

orange Firefox button or classic Tools menu > Add-ons > Plugins category

Any change?

New Contributor

I tried that as stated in my question, but thanks. It made no difference.

It's really odd, the page loads immediately if I click "reload." This is while the blue circle is spinning.

I have noticed the the "blue circle" goes clockwise first and doesn't load the page until it goes counterclockwise. It goes counterclockwise as soon as I click "reload." Then the page loads instantly.

I have also tried unchecking the automatic acceleration in options and unchecking the override cash automatic cache management in options.

Legendary Contributor

I see, you get a blank page and spinning throbber (endless loading), not an error. Can you tell from the progress message above the bottom frame of the browser which server is failing to deliver? It might not be consistent, but if you notice a pattern, it could be relevant.

New Contributor

I'm not that technically knowledgeable to figure that out even though I do know what you're talking about which appears in the bottom left of the screen.

The one thing that is consistent is the blue circle. When it reverses and goes counterclockwise, the page loads.

If I wait for up to a minute for the page to load on the first click without clicking "reload," the circle or throb as you call it, does not reverse directions. It maintains a clockwise motion.

Maybe the best metaphor for the problem is to say the page acts as though a website is getting a lot of hits and and taking an extra long time to get in. But clicking "reload" immediately brings the page up.

The websites that always load instantly always do, and the ones that don't are always slow without clicking "reload."

Legendary Contributor

I could only guess that one of the many elements of the site is loading slowly. Many sites use shared resources such as the Facebook like button, the Google +1 button, ad networks, etc., etc., so if one of those stalls, it could block the entire page. That's why I was wondering whether you see a message, such as "Read + url" or "Waiting for + url" over the bottom of the page when this happens. If you happen to notice a pattern, that might help in diagnosing the problem.

Site Moderator

This issue can be caused by the FoxLingo extension

Start Firefox in Safe Mode to check if one of the extensions (Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Extensions) or if hardware acceleration is causing the problem (switch to the DEFAULT theme: Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Appearance).

• Do not click the Reset button on the Safe mode start window or otherwise make changes.
New Contributor

Hi cor-el, thanks for responding.

First, I don't have Foxlingo extension. Second, I had already tried going into safe mode and it made no difference.

Checking the themes appearance, I only have two--one is default and the other is "Live With Music" which shows disabled. I don't have an enable or disable button on the default. When I highlight the default, it tells me I had the last update on September 7th.

Some of the other things explained in your links are not describing the particular problem I have such as the "rfl log" so I didn't try them. One thing I don't have is a "Firefox button" with the menu you described. My add-ons, options and adblock plus show in my tools menu.

Even though safe mode test disabling extensions and themes made no difference, is there any point to still disable each one of them individually? I only have 13 of them active.

New Contributor

Hi rj343 and Mozilla forum! I'm having the exact same problem as rj343. I'm not going to re-describe the problem. I'm using Firefox 16.0.2 with Windows 7 64 bit running on a HP computer. Has there been a resolution to this problem? Thanks!

New Contributor

Hi, I've been having the same problem for months. Don't have all the tech vocab either, so let's give it a try:

The problem is with firefox attempting to access almost ANY website or link. When you click the link, it's almost as if firefox freezes. NOTHING happens most of the time, sometimes, the page loads (background only) no links, no images, no text.

As several have noted, the "activity indicator" is moving, so it's not a total freeze-up. The activity indicator (first the grey counterclockwise circle which indicates the browser is trying to get the page info, then the green clockwise circle indicating it found something and is trying to bring it in) is working, but it hangs on the grey for quiet a while, then ditto, hangs on the green for a while.

SOMETIMES if you just let it do it's thing, the page will eventually load, but we're talking load times over 60seconds for a non-complicated page.

You can hit BACK, then FORWARD, and it will almost insta-load. You can hit back or stop and sometimes the page will *poof* appear. It's something in how Firefox is trying to pass the data (from the website/webpage it's accessing) to the point where it formats and displays it locally.

This is not an "extensions" issue. This is not something that can be fixed via safe-mode. I've run in safe mode. I've run in normal mode with Norton completely disabled. It's not a server issue because it happens on almost EVERY website I try to access.

It's not a net connectivity issue. I've got Comcast, hardline not wireless, with a signal strength to rival the Pentagon. It's something IN FIREFOX.

I'm guessing it has to do with the number of attempts or pipelining setting in the registry, but I'll be damned if I know how to fix it.

It's also really really annoying. Any intelligent replies/help/prayers?