cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why can't I navigate with my arrows in Firefox 20.0.1?

Highlighted
New Contributor

Why can't I navigate with my arrows in Firefox 20.0.1?

After I downloaded 20.0.1, I found that I my cursors and tab key no longer functioned within Firefox (they function everywhere else on my laptop). This wasn't a problem until the latest version, but I can't find any solution. I made sure that my Accessibility options were set to make sure my cursor keys would navigate, but it still won't work. This is more than annoying. Help?

8 REPLIES
Site Moderator

Re: Why can't I navigate with my arrows in Firefox 20.0.1?

hello aklein22, please press F7 in order to leave caret browsing mode - then the behaviour should be back to normal...

New Contributor

Thanks, When I press Fn7 I'm asked if I want to turn on Caret Browsing, Yes or No. When I press No, nothing happens, unless I'm supposed to restart?

Site Moderator

yes, caret browsing should stay switched off - your configuration you've submitted orignially shows that it was turned on (accessibility.browsewithcaret: True ) what will interfere with the arrow keys...

Site Moderator

If caret browsing is enabled ([X] "Always use the cursor keys to navigate within pages") then the cursor keys behave differently.

New Contributor

Sorry to belabor this issue, and thanks to all who helped, but...

It seems whether "Allow cursor..." is selected or not, or if I choose "Yes" or "No" on F7 prompts, nothing changes. I probably have the wrong combination chosen, or have/haven't restarted in the right sequence.

You've been great, but this is getting frustrating on my end. This only happened AFTER I downloaded 20.0.1, was fine before. Should I revert FF, which could kill some data, or can I go back a version or two? Or throw my laptop in the ocean?

Site Moderator

What happens if you use the cursor keys?

When caret browsing is enabled then you get a cursor key if you click with the left mouse button on a web page.
If you see this cursor the cursor key behave differently.

Start Firefox in Safe Mode to check if one of the extensions (Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Extensions) or if hardware acceleration is causing the problem (switch to the DEFAULT theme: Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Appearance).

• Do NOT click the Reset button on the Safe Mode start window or otherwise make changes.
New Contributor

And there you go! Thanks, cor-el. I opened in Safe Mode and everything worked. After troubleshooting, found a bad extension (SEO Blogger 1.0.8), which I will now remove and try another version. This was NOT what I expected, but problem solved nonetheless.Thanks again.

Site Moderator

You're welcome!