cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When using google.com, the back button doesn't take me to where I was in my search results

Highlighted
New User

When using google.com, the back button doesn't take me to where I was in my search results

This happened in 3.x and still occurs in 4.x

When I search for something on google.com and say scroll down towards the bottom of the search results - and click on a link - it takes me to the resulting site just fine. But when I click on the back button it will only take me back to the *top of the google search page* and I have to scroll all the way down the list to find where I left the results to go to page I came back from.

This is absolutely maddening.

I've tried restarting FF in safe mood to see if it still occurs and it does so I'm thinking it's not an add in or extension.

I've also seen refs to a problem with the Mcaffee site advisor breaking the back button but this is not the same issue. My back button works, it just doesn't take me back to google.com where I left it, so I have to scroll all the way down and check which links are purple to find where I left off. Crazy.

Note that this does NOT happen on other sites, only google.com which I happen to live in all day long with my work.

If anyone can help with this I'd sure appreciate it.

Thank you!

19 REPLIES
Master

Re: When using google.com, the back button doesn't take me to where I was in my search results

Right click the Back / Forward buttons to get a list of sites visited.

You can also install this add-on: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/backforward-dropmarker/

New User

Re: When using google.com, the back button doesn't take me to where I was in my search results

Thank you, but right clicking on back simply takes me back to page at the top of the list, it doesn't solve the problem. Appreciate the response, however.

Master

Hold down ALT while you press the left arrow key. It should take you to the same spot where you were when you clicked the link.

If it doesn't work, try running Firefox in Troubleshoot Firefox issues using Safe Mode. If it functions properly in that configuration, then one of your add-ons is the culprit.

Incidentally, you need to update to the latest version of Adobe Flash via http://get.adobe.com/flashplayer/

See this Adobe security advisory: http://www.adobe.com/support/security/advisories/apsa11-02.html

New User

Using ALT and back doesn't work. Still takes me to the top of the page. Also, I mentioned in my original post that the problem exists when running in safe mode.

Thanks, Xircal - I very much appreciate you trying to help and also the pointer on the Adobe Flash issue.

Master

New User

Rather then creating a new profile I just tested this on an entirely different computer (a netbook with FF 3.x). The problem is there as well. These profiles share no information whatsoever. Strange. I can't be the only person that is being slowly insane by this Smiley Wink

Thanks again Xircal - you are a gentleman and a scholar for trying to help me!

Master

Please go to the Add-ons manager, then Plugins and disable Kapersky URL Advisor. Then try again. You can re-enable it if it doesn't make any difference.

While you're in there, please disable all the Java Consoles prior to the latest version which is 1.6.0_25. Older plugins are a security risk, though probably not the cause of your current problem.

New User

Kaspersky is listed as an extension, not a plugin. Already disabled. No joy. Smiley Sad

Jave consoles removed - thanks for that tip. Smiley Happy

Master

Sorry, I meant Extensions.

But I notice what I think might be the culprit in the form of your Skype installation. The version you have installed at the moment which is 5.0.0.6778 is on Mozilla's Blocklist: https://www.mozilla.com/en-US/blocklist/ (7th from the top).

Could you try updating that and see what happens?