cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When opening new tab I am directed to Google, but the cursor stays in the address bar. Anyway to automatically move the cursor to the google search bar?

SOLVED
Highlighted
New Contributor

When opening new tab I am directed to Google, but the cursor stays in the address bar. Anyway to automatically move the cursor to the google search bar?

Thank you in advance. I upgraded to firefox 4, and since then I have had a problem. When opening a new tab I have chosen to be directed to google.com. In the past my cursor automatically went to the search bar on that page when I open a new tab. After upgrading the cursor just stays in the address bar, but I would like it to automatically move to the google search bar on the page. Does anyone know how to fix this? Thanks again.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Site Moderator

Re: When opening new tab I am directed to Google, but the cursor stays in the address bar. Anyway to automatically move the cursor to the google search bar?

Which extensions do you use?

A new tab opens by default as a blank tab (about:blank).
If that isn't the case then an extension has changed that behavior.

Start Firefox in Troubleshoot Firefox issues using Safe Mode to check if one of the extensions is causing the problem (switch to the DEFAULT theme: Firefox (Tools) > Add-ons > Appearance/Themes).

21 REPLIES
All Star Contributor

Re: When opening new tab I am directed to Google, but the cursor stays in the address bar. Anyway to automatically move the cursor to the google search bar?

Ctrl+K will take you to the builtin Firefox search bar

I would recommend that you learn to use the search bar rather than using a Google search page as your home page, or using the "Google Search Bar" extension.

The operands for search are easy to work with see Search and Substitution Shortcuts especially for Firefox users

I expect that if you are using the Google Search Bar that they probably usurped the Firefox keyboard shortcut of Ctrl+K or have their own.

New Contributor

Thank you for your reply. I do use the search bar, and am familiar with it. I have many of my favorite pages accessible through the search bar. Ctrl+k does indeed direct me to it. I appreciate your suggestion, but it didn't answer my initial question.

That being said, I prefer to open a new tab and have my cursor positioned ready to search.

Site Moderator

Do you mean that you open a specific page (google.com) automatically in a new tab by using an extension?

In that case another extension can cause the search field not to get focus.

New Contributor

That is almost correct. I just use the plus sign that lets me open a new tab.

Site Moderator

Which extensions do you use?

A new tab opens by default as a blank tab (about:blank).
If that isn't the case then an extension has changed that behavior.

Start Firefox in Troubleshoot Firefox issues using Safe Mode to check if one of the extensions is causing the problem (switch to the DEFAULT theme: Firefox (Tools) > Add-ons > Appearance/Themes).

New Contributor

Wow! I'm thick. I checked earlier to see if it was an extension, but I missed the extension that was causing the conflict. I guess it wasn't updated for 4.0. Thanks for the help.

Site Moderator

You're welcome

New Contributor

https://support.mozilla.com/oc/questions/800497#answer-159601

Here's the link to the page that helped it me solve my problem. The problem was "New Tab Homepage".

Site Moderator

Thanks. Yes that extension has been mentioned before during the past weeks to cause that issue.