cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When opening a second window, Firefox switches me back to the first one and it's driving me crazy. Why is this happening?

Highlighted
New Contributor

When opening a second window, Firefox switches me back to the first one and it's driving me crazy. Why is this happening?

51 REPLIES
Site Moderator

Re: When opening a second window, Firefox switches me back to the first one and it's driving me crazy. Why is this happening?

Are there any pages open in the first window that auto-refresh or otherwise need attention?

Start Firefox in Safe Mode to check if one of the extensions (Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Extensions) or if hardware acceleration is causing the problem (switch to the DEFAULT theme: Firefox/Tools > Add-ons > Appearance).

• Do not click the Reset button on the Safe mode start window or otherwise make changes.
New Contributor

Re: When opening a second window, Firefox switches me back to the first one and it's driving me crazy. Why is this happening?

Yes, usually Twitter. Can I make this stop happening?

Site Moderator

Did you try Safe mode?

New Contributor

Yes. Still happening.

New Contributor

I work at home, I have one window open all the time where there is a refresh about every 15 minutes. When it refreshes it automatically goes there, even if I am active on the other window or typing. Sometimes when I open a new tab on the other window and scroll, it will automatically change to the old window. This did not happen before upgrading to FF15.

New Contributor

Yep, exactly what is happening to me. A solution to this would be great, it's so frustrating.

New Contributor

I'm in the same boat as the original poster and the only thing that has changed is the last FF update.

New Contributor

Is this official mozzila support site ?

Because I can´t see anyone responsible answering this problem ...

This is so annoying bug !

New Contributor

same here and it is a bug.

sorry cor-el, nothing to do with extensions or hardware acceleration, i have tested it in safe mode. nothing doing.

but it seems to happen more if the link in the new window has a flash element in it. even if you open a third or fourth window it switches back to the first window you opened. and it has been doing this since 15.0

and indeed where are the other moderators to let us know if the developers are aware of this bug.