cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

When I updated my Adobe Acrobat plug-in it uninstalled Adobe Reader and installed Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. Can I use Adobe Reader instead?

SOLVED
New User

When I updated my Adobe Acrobat plug-in it uninstalled Adobe Reader and installed Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. Can I use Adobe Reader instead?

I am running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit. Firefox said my Adobe Acrobat plug-in was outdated, so I updated it. It uninstalled my Adobe Reader Version 11.0.12.18 and replaced it with Adobe Acrobat Reader DC Version 2015.008.20082. I did not like this program, plus I read there were still bugs in it. I uninstalled this program and reinstalled Adobe Reader Version 11.0.12.18. I went into the Firefox options menu under applications and changed the Adobe options to use Adobe Reader as the default application for PDF files. Is this a safe choice, or should I let Firefox dictate which PDF program I use? I am concerned about security issues. Any opinions?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Mozilla Support Contributor

Re: When I updated my Adobe Acrobat plug-in it uninstalled Adobe Reader and installed Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. Can I use Adobe Reader instead?

I think your question was mostly answered in this thread: https://support.mozilla.org/questions/1079182

In my view, you can trust Adobe to keep the Reader XI series updated for a while. Whether it's totally safe is impossible to know, since vulnerabilities often are discovered and kept secret.

2 REPLIES
Mozilla Support Contributor

Re: When I updated my Adobe Acrobat plug-in it uninstalled Adobe Reader and installed Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. Can I use Adobe Reader instead?

I think your question was mostly answered in this thread: https://support.mozilla.org/questions/1079182

In my view, you can trust Adobe to keep the Reader XI series updated for a while. Whether it's totally safe is impossible to know, since vulnerabilities often are discovered and kept secret.

New User

Thanks jscher2000 for your opinion. It looks like Adobe is moving away from the Reader XI series. I think I will go back to Adobe Acrobat Reader DC and make sure I keep it updated. Thank you much for your reply.